Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 06:26 AM
    Responing to Brenmei question on the electrical page
    Someone, Brenmei, posted a question to this locked thread on the electrical page.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...it-220955.html

I don't know how he was able to do this because I am unable to respond because the thread is locked.

The question was.

Stupid question here. We have different color wire in Australia. What are the colours representing above..
    Live...
    Neutral...
    Earth...

Thanks in advance

Brenme
    First. There is no stupid question.
    Second, I had recently had reason to look up Australia's wire color codes. In my opinion you have a holy mess down there with your old and new wire color codes

In USA the colors are;

White or grey is neutral (NEC term is grounded conductor)
    Any color other than white, grey or green is live or hot (NEC term is ungrounded conductor)
    Green (or green with yellow strip) or bare is grounding (earth). The term commonly used by us uneducated people is "ground".
    Note the difference in the terms grounded and grounding.
    Any conductor can be re-designated by coloring both ends of the conductor with the appropriate color.

More than you wanted to know about USA wire colors.

In the drawing
    The ground is not shown. It is not part of the circuity and makes the drawings to messy. Just connect all grounds (earths) together and to any metal or conductive parts.

In the drawing the black is used for the uninterrupted conductor (except for the switch).
    It supplies power to each sensor.
    The red is used to provide power from the sensor to the lights when activated.
    Note: The sensors are switches so there is no back circuit through a sensor from the red to the black if a sensor is not activated.

The choice of how to use red and black was mine.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 06:51 AM
    The thread was apparently closed after this most recent post. The thread was from 2008. It can be reopened if you wish.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 07:14 AM
    Brenmei response was also deleted(?). Can't find it. Can't find her either.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 07:51 AM
    I guess they all went down the rabbit hole.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Web Page Question [ 11 Answers ]

A business has committed fraud by taking money from me. They claim that they are charging a restocking fee for a product I never ordered. The say that it is under product information on their web page which it is but was not previous to them taking my money. Can I find out when it was added later?

Electrical Question, obviously... [ 1 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can help. I had the brilliant idea of changing all of my outlets and light switches in my living room and have somehow created a mess. First, I replaced all the outlets and everything worked fine, then I started on the light switches. At the hallway entering the living...

Dr Zakir Naik's question and answers page [ 1 Answers ]

Aslaam wah alaikum Brother Naik. Why do they say a woman is more NAPAAK when she has given birth to a girl rather than a boy?Why is this?

Journal Page Question--Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

HERE IS THE QUESTION: Sweeney & Associates, a large marketing firm, adjusts its accounts at the end of each month. The following information is available for the year ending December 31, 2009: 1. A bank loan had been obtained on December 1. Accrued interest on the loan at December 31 amounts to...

View more questions Search