Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skydove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2015, 04:27 AM
    I thought letting my 25 year old nephew move in was the right thing to do, I'm scared
    I was the only one that would take him in and where I live meant he would have to go on my lease. God Help me Now! He won't leave, He threatens to hit me and if I try to kick him out he said he will do everything in his power to get me kicked out too. I have disabilities' and live on ssi. I am so miserable every single day I just want to die. I am falling apart and I need some advice. Legal advice, solid advice, not just telling me to get out... This is my apartment I'll be 50 in Oct. Next to karma what can I do.. I don't care if it takes a couple months I want my place back and his egotistical can go. His Mom is who taught him to be like this and his Dad wants nothing to do with his cry baby bully to women .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 04:46 AM
    Where are you so you can be accurately advised of your rights as a co tenant. Your first clue was his own parents wouldn't take him in, and does he pay his own way? What agreement did you have when you took him in?

You took him in, and for whatever reason you can legally get rid of him. So where are you?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 7, 2015, 04:56 AM
    You say he had to be added to your lease? If both names are on the lease, you have to wait until the lease term ends, and then move out. Maybe you can make a deal with the landlord to move back in as soon as your nephew is totally gone. Other than that, you can sue him in small claims court for unpaid rents. Landlords don't care which person on a lease pays or doesn't; all owe or any one owes.

The only thing that trumps all this is physical violence. If he hurts you, you go to the police and get a restraining order, and get their help getting him out. Threatening you usually gets a response of 'we can't do anything unless he actually hurts you.'

When you ask legal questions, please provide facts that pertain to the situation, and leave out the emotion (we do feel for you, but you are going to be dealing with plenty of people in person, and if you want help, you need to do this).
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 05:56 AM
    While you are living under threat of violence, whether it be a husband, out of control teen, relative, or what have you, there are options in dealing with this situation.

Seek legal help, and find out what those options are. You can visit any women's shelter for guidance and good advice on what to do, and how to go about it. Referral is something they do for women who are in a domestic situation like you are.

Something else you can do, is visit your family doctor. Explain what is going on, and you are at a loss as to what to do about it. He too can recommend you to a service that can help deal with this nephew of yours.

Nobody has to live under the threat of violence, and that is the key here. You will need help in becoming informed as to your rights. And you will need help in finding the right help to meet your needs, and your financial situation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 08:54 AM
    The main and first question, like others asked. How is he "added"
    Are you the only person listed as the one leasing, and he is merely added as living there? Or was a new lease written that put you and he both as leasing.

My son was always "on" my lease, but not as the one renting, just as a tenant.

If he was merely added as living there, and not legally listed as the renter, you can evict him normally.

Next, also talk to the apartment owner or management company, they may have a way to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to move out of state but I have full custody of my nephew. Can I still move? [ 5 Answers ]

I have full custody of my nephew and I'm wanting to move out of state. I'm currently married and soon getting divorced because of verbal abuse. Can I move or no?

Was my girlfriend really ready to have sex? I thought I did the right thing.. Help? [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend just turn 16 and I'm 17. We've been dating for a little over a year and haven't done much more than mess around. The times we have talked about sex she's told me she wasn't ready to take that next step in our relationship. No I didn't really push the issue. I told her that I could...

I co signed for my nephew on a student loan. I really didn't thing they would except [ 4 Answers ]

I co signed for my nephew on a student loan. I really didn't thing they would except me as a co signer because I had recently filed bankruptsy and only worked part time. Surprise they did. I was shocked but it was for less then 17,000. A year later my nephew redid the loan and took out more money....

This idea is not letting me to move on [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all I am new here.ive been reading in this forum but never posted.for me its been 3 months NC.in this time I have neither seen nor heard from her.she broke up with me some days before new year.our relationship lasted more than 2 years and the reason of this break up was another guy.so I got...

View more questions Search