Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2015, 03:51 PM
    Addicted to shopping
    This may sound not very important, but since retiring I have been purchasing a lot of items for myself from T.V. and Internet Shopping Channels, most are items like fashion jewelry which I do not really need. Considering having a talk with a psychologist to stop this. I know one thing I seem to forget about personal problems when I do this, but when the bills come..! Any advice. Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2015, 03:57 PM
    The easiest way to begin the process is to cut up all credit/debit cards. Counseling is a must.

If you can't buy it with cash, you don't need it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 5, 2015, 04:06 PM
    considering having a talk with a psychologist to stop this.
    Do it!! he may guide you to a support group,and surprised you with how many others are in the same boat a you.

http://www.shopaholicnomore.com/

https://www.intotreatment.com/addict...12-step-rehab/

http://www.r-a.org/i-shopaholic.htm#.VXIs9M9Viko
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2015, 04:50 PM
    What else are you doing with your time? Do you find yourself feeling bored and television/internet are easy fixes?

Consider also getting out of the house and finding activities of interest. Join classes, start a garden, join a health club, volunteer.....if possible, get part time employment in something you enjoy, get together regularly with family or friends.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2015, 04:17 AM
    If it is just online shopping, stop watching, have cable turned off, or limited channels.

Also yes cut up credit cards, I got rid of all of mine about 6 years ago.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 6, 2015, 07:10 AM
    I hate shopping! I get weary just looking to what I really need, even online. Part of the reason is that I'm so cheap that I just have to find the best price.
    I also suffer from what I call Post Purchase Depression. That moment when you realize that you just bought another dust catching, clutter-creating, burden to your possessions, AND wasted money that could be going to something else.
    1- Invite a friend to early bird dinner, your treat
    2- Find a good charity that has low admin costs, like Doctors without Borders
    3- Get a pet! A cat is a good start and less work than a dog, but still needs food and beds and vet care. The cat will help 'fill the void' of loneliness and meaninglessness.

Shopaholics can cure themselves without expensive therapy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 6, 2015, 09:27 AM
    True that Joy, as there are less expensive alternatives to PROFESSIONAL therapy. Hard to see better ways to make yourself feel good when you are caught in the cycle of a bad habit of the quick easy fix though.

We often just think of the feel good, and seldom think of the bad feelings that follow. In that case expensive or not, any step in the right direction is needed when getting help is the priority. As we learn better, we can be more FRUGAL, and independent in the decision making for ourselves.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2015, 11:05 AM
    Amen Joy, amen. (Full disclosure - I just finished shopping. I needed new dress pants for work. In and out 10 minutes. )

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I hate shopping! I get weary just looking to what I really need, even online. Part of the reason is that I'm so cheap that I just have to find the best price.
    I also suffer from what I call Post Purchase Depression. That moment when you realize that you just bought another dust catching, clutter-creating, burden to your possessions, AND wasted money that could be going to something else.
    1- Invite a friend to early bird dinner, your treat
    2- Find a good charity that has low admin costs, like Doctors without Borders
    3- Get a pet! A cat is a good start and less work than a dog, but still needs food and beds and vet care. The cat will help 'fill the void' of loneliness and meaninglessness.

Shopaholics can cure themselves without expensive therapy.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Jun 6, 2015, 07:44 PM
    I hate shopping but I swear there is something therapeutic about those stupid shopping channels! I believe there is a psychological pull to them in the way they present an item and then talk about it, as best of friends. "Oh, I just love this color" "This will make any woman feel like a queen" "I have one in every color!", "This is one of a kind. I promise you will never see it in ANY store" and so on... it is like hanging out with a good friend and sharing compliments. It also makes you feel like you'll be in some "inner circle" if you get one of whatever it is. They are always so upbeat and positive!

Then they also employ the "500 already sold!" as if you're missing out and have a limited time to get one or it will be gone, forever! One of the best ways I distract myself from shopping channels is that I keep my laptop nearby and I look up the item on line. I read reviews, I see that I can buy the item on QVC online and often other places, as well and it reduces the feeling that I have to buy it now or it will be forever gone. Once is see it online, the overwhelming desire to buy whatever it is usually passes.

Don't forget, you can return items, even after you buy them. Usually within 30 days - so don't miss out on that. I hate, hate, hate returning things I bought, so that helps deter me from further impulse purchases. If you can picture it in a store like Wal-Mart or a thrift store - where my purchases usually end up - that helps me put in perspective how "fabulous" it actually is.

Talking to a therapist is a great idea to talk with someone and help you get to the root of the issue, as the online shopping is just a symptom of something deeper, from what you describe. I love volunteering - there is almost nothing that helping someone else & getting yourself out of your head can't make you feel better about yourself and forget your own problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shopping [ 1 Answers ]

When I buy myself something, I feel happy. I feel happy for a period, and then I know everything is okay. But when that item becomes old to me, I become depressed because of my real problems, and I don't know how to help the problems, so I go shopping because it makes me feel better. I feel like I...

Shopping on your own [ 15 Answers ]

Well, I am 19 years old now and my mum refuse's to buy me new clothes now, and well lets say I'm not one for buying clothes. I find it embarrassing and don't know what to choose. Am I just being silly or is a lot of people like this. Recently I went shopping with my girlfriend and got clothes as...

Online shopping [ 4 Answers ]

I want to purchase every kind of things online... but I want to pay when I receive my purchased item at my home... is there any facility on net?

View more questions Search