Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bestm8ts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Files won't show (html)
    Hi, this is my first post...

I am having trouble with my website, I can't seem to get all of the html files on my website to show, my website is at http://www.mytag.co.uk the index.html file shows and the download link works (also the file links work but none of the other links work.

I have tried moving the files onto a different server but it still doesn't work, I can't understand it, at first I thought it was the file permissions but I have ruled that out, the code in the files are identical apart from a few lines of content.

Please feel free to look at the address, it is as if the files don't exist, I have checked and they are all in the right dir and they are all linked correctly.

Please help, anything will be useful.

Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 09:17 AM
    I think it's because your web server is a Linux server and therefore, case sensitive. The one link that is working points to Download.html - note the capital D. I'm guessing that all your HTML files on the page are named with capital letters.

You need to make sure that the filenames in the HTML have the same case as what's on the server. So if the file is called E-Books.html, the link tag will also have to be <a href="E-Books.html">
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2005, 09:57 AM
    LT is most likely correct. As a general rule, I always use lowercase names when uploading files and then use the same in my links.
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Mar 3, 2005, 02:15 PM
    It seems to be the case
    LT seems to be on the money I noticed that the Downloads.html has a capital d so I would defently check on that. Also as scott stated I try to make sure that I use the same nameing convetion on all the pages because I always overlook the small things like that. Also the title was not meant to be a joke I thought it was a great way to got to the answer sorry about the corny humor.
    Bestm8ts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2005, 04:53 PM
    Problem sorted
    Thank you all for your help and support, I have resolved the matter, it was a problem with the case of the files and links.

I hope to better my understanding in these matters so I can help others.

Thanks once again, your help is greatly appreciated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Show .jpeg files on CD on my TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have a CD full of .jpeg files (photos) that I would like to display on my TV. I tried showing them on my DVD player but the files were too large and it displayed pictures painfully slow. Is there a reliable device that can use to show my photos on the TV? (they are no longer in the...

Help with HTML. [ 6 Answers ]

okay. So I have my webpage at index.htm and I start building the structure. <html><head><title>my homepage of ittle</title></head> <body> <center><b><u><h1><font color=red> WELCOME! <br size=5 color=pink> now I have a matrix animation using javascript. Then I have a button that says home so...

Css vs. Html [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, I thought there was a thread onthis but I couldn't find it. I wanted to know when I should use CSS and when I should use HTML? I noticed websites that are using CSS are still using HTML, psecifically tables, to do some of there layout. I thought that was a no, no since CSS came out. I am...

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

View more questions Search