Ask
    Kamel Byazeed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2015, 01:55 PM
    Metals
    How to get silver from lead glance?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2015, 02:44 PM
    "glance"? Alchemists have been trying for years with no success.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2015, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    "glance"? Alchemists have been trying for years with no success.
    Lead glance is the natural form of lead sulfied or sometimes called 'galena'
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 3, 2015, 03:13 PM
    Galena may contain silver, it may not. It may be in silver form, it may be in silver sulfide form.
    You might get 1 - 2 % silver from extraction.
    I don't know how to extract, but imagine that it differs according to the composition of the galena.
    I also wonder if it's worth it unless you also have a use for lead.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2015, 03:15 PM
    Been around smelting when I insured ASARCO-mostly Cu smelting- but never heard that term. Yes, Lead Sulfide is the common ore, sometimes found with Silver, probably separated by roasting and reduction.
    Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Galena may contain silver, it may not. It may be in silver form, it may be in silver sulfide form.
    You might get 1 - 2 % silver from extraction.
    I don't know how to extract, but imagine that it differs according to the composition of the galena.
    I also wonder if it's worth it unless you also have a use for lead.
    Not worth it, lead is a banned substance.
    current pert

Jun 4, 2015, 06:26 AM
    ????
    Lead is not banned except in paints and a few other places where it might be ingested. Over a million tons a year are used in the US alone, mostly in car batteries and in compounds with other metals.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 06:59 AM
    I think Tick is confusing regulations regarding the use of lead in plumbing applications and commercial electronic products as opposed to the practice of mining lead ores. It is true that lead in solder is pretty much a thing of the past - due to concerns about lead poisoning from tin/lead solder that had been common in plumbing applications, and environmental regulations being driven from Europe regarding tin/lead solder in electronics products. But that has nothing to do with the OP's question.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 01:49 PM
    HINT: Man has been using heat and beat methods for centuries to separate and combine metals. Easy Google.
    Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 02:51 PM
    ????
    Lead is not banned except in paints and a few other places where it might be ingested. Over a million tons a year are used in the US alone, mostly in car batteries and in compounds with other metals.
    It is a banned substance in many countries, Joy. No one can have lead solder for pipes in plumbing, no paint company can produce bottom paint for boats containing lead. It is NOT environmentally safe.

So what happens to car batteries, containing lead, when they are no good anymore?
    current pert

Jun 4, 2015, 04:00 PM
    Lead batteries in the US are recycled. Most auto parts places give a $5 credit for them.
    Please name me one country where lead is banned. Not just certain products.
    Even lead came for stained glass is sold everywhere, like amazon.
    Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 05:17 PM
    Lead batteries in the US are recycled. Most auto parts places give a $5 credit for them.
    Please name me one country where lead is banned. Not just certain products.
    Even lead came for stained glass is sold everywhere, like amazon.
    Lead 'came' is only used for a type of stained glass, joy. A procedure most likely known in cathedral windows. Not many of us attempt that expense of re-construction, or for strength instead of re-bar. (I am sure you will look that up). Lead came is an H channel to secure the glass pieces, no soldering required except minimal at joins. I wouldn't buy my supplies from Amazon.

I would normally use two types of lead for copper foil method, classic 50 and classic 60. Both usage is minimal.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2015, 07:13 PM
    Some lead COMPOUNDS are banned, not lead itself. Most shotgun shells still have lead in them, check Walmart @fishing, all kinds of lead sinkers and weights. The wheel weights used to balance tires are mostly lead.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 5, 2015, 05:38 AM
    I have some experience heer regarding lead use in electronics. A sI mentioned eerlier lead is ileegal now for use in electronic circuiot boards for many applications in the European Union, but not for all applications. For example you can't use lead for solder in consumer electrionics, but can for use ot for solder in commercial electronics used in fixed installations. So while a TV may not have lead in its citcuitry, an electric motor for an elevator may. In the US and Asia regulations are much looser - there is no general ban on tin/lead solder for electronics, though some states (California, for example ) are moving in that direction. As a practical matter virtually all mult-national electronics suppliers have switched to lead-free solder for essentially all applications, as it doesn't make sense to sell one type of circuit board in Europe and a different one in the US. My employer for example has made it a policy to adhere globally to the European Union requiremensts, even for products that we don't sell directly into Europe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Alkaline earth metals are harder than Alkali Metals Why? [ 1 Answers ]

Questions: 1.The Alkaline earth metals are harder than Alkali Metals Why? 2.Why is SO3 is dissolved in H2SO4 and not in water? Ethyl alcohol is a liquid while Ethyl Choloride is a gas.Why?

View more questions Search