Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jab118 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2015, 11:26 AM
    My lab won't eat
    My yellow lab is 10 years old. She has had arthritis and was put on rimadyl a year ago. Her liver enzymes were very high after that. Last week she was put on rimadyl again even with my protest The vet assured me that this was safe since it was short term. She now has extremely high liver enzymes. Threw up and diareah for 2 days and has not eaten for 4 days. Help!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 31, 2015, 03:39 PM
    Does the vet know this? Have you had a second opinion?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 31, 2015, 03:58 PM
    Your protest should have been heeded. Older dogs are usually prescribed this for arthritis only after blood work is done to rule out a compromised liver.

i can't say take her of it, I am not a vet. Get her to another vet for a second opinion and ask that blood work be done.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2015, 04:15 PM
    You should talk to your doc about putting your dog on SAMe for the high liver enzymes. Outside of that, there isn't much that people online can suggest for you to do.

Maybe a second opinion? 10 is kind of old for a lab, unfortunately our doggies cannot live forever. His body is giving out. It might be time to think of Hospice.

You could see about having the dog hospitalized for a few days and put on fluids to help flush all the toxins out of the body through the kidneys...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lab puppy won't eat anything [ 1 Answers ]

He won't eat any food he's still playful. And the vet said he's got normal temp and can't wor out why he doesn't want to eat

Black lab won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

My lab is about 8 years old. She had bad diarrhea in her kennel last night. She won't eat today, its super hot, should I be worried or just see how she does.

Lab won't eat after getting better [ 9 Answers ]

My husband & I have a Yellow Lab, male, 1 year & 3 months old, weighs about 95 pounds. Last week we took him to the vet for vomiting and diarrhea, he wasn't eating much but was otherwise normal (still drinking, playing, etc.). Vet put him on Rx food for easier digestion, and gave us an antibiotic...

9 yr old lab won't eat [ 16 Answers ]

I have a 9 yr old lab/chow mix that has stopped eating. I recently changed her diet from pedigree lamb and rice to beneful. It is also very hot outside and she does not handle heat very well. She has been to the vet and he cannot find anything wrong. She will not eat anything at all but drinks...

Lab Puppy won't eat [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 7 month black lab who has stopped eating and energy level is lower than normal. I am very concerned only because she has had a lot of problems in the 4 months I have owned her she has had worms, bladder infection, ear infection, mange, and she just recently got into some of my plastic...

View more questions Search