Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2015, 03:34 PM
    Marriage vows
    A women told me if you get married and don't have sex.
    He did not fulfil his marriage obligation and they are not legally married
    Never hear of this before
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 03:37 PM
    They did not consummate their marriage.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 29, 2015, 03:38 PM
    If the marriage was considered legal when it was performed, it's legal... with or without sex. There can be a number of various reasons a couple may not have sex.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 03:56 PM
    Just to flip the script, having sex would mean you are married right?
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 04:03 PM
    Legally they are married.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2015, 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 06:30 PM
    Sex, or lack thereof, does not trump law.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 29, 2015, 07:56 PM
    However, if the marriage isn't consummated and the couple decides to split up, in most country's they would qualify for an annulment instead of a divorce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2015, 12:11 AM
    In some cultures, and in some of the "old" days, having sex was considered the final act of the marriage. But then there was not state license, or government license. The man went to girls home, and brought her to his home, they had sex, and lived together. That made them married. It was all part of a large celebration and party.

In fact in some cultures, the bride and groom were "watched" and in some since girl had to be a virgin, her family keep the cloth with blood to prove she was a virgin.

So at some places, at some time, this was part of the law.

It is also reason to have marriage annulled or grounds for divorce in some places.

But in basics, it is a old old custom, that has no legal bearing today.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2015, 12:00 PM
    With some religions, if Impotence is the issue, you may have grounds for an annulment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Vows of Lincoln Audrey [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for the words and artist for the song "The Vows of Lincoln Audrey" from the 1960's for a friend. Thanks.

Are vows taken lightly? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been reading some of the questions on this site referring to marriage and I am shocked by how some couples are breaking up for stupid reasons after getting married. One even said she wasn't even in love with him when they got married! You take vows for a reason... they are called vows for a...

Is five years a good time to renew our vows [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for 9 years and married for four. We were thinking about havinga renewel ceramony on our fifth wedding anniversary. When we got married it was in a courthouse and I was 5 months pregnant. I really want to have a wedding and over the past five years we have gone...

Wedding Vows [ 2 Answers ]

A grandmother overheard her 5-year-old granddaughter playing "wedding." The wedding vows went like this: "You have the right to remain silent, anything you say may be held against you, you have the right to have an attorney present. You may kiss the bride."

Renewing wedding vows? [ 4 Answers ]

We are renewing our wedding vows on July 21st, it will be 21 years, and I was pregnant when we got married and didn't have a big wedding or dance. What would you suggest would be acceptable to do? We are renewing them in our Catholic church, should I have our 2 sons walk be down the isle, then...

View more questions Search