Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lady H Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2015, 02:15 AM
    Bringing baby for swimming
    Hi, I need some advice here. I have a 6 month old baby. This weekend we are going for a vacation. I bought my baby swimming suit including swim cap and also baby float. Any important reminder that I need to be aware of when bring my baby to the swimming pool? For example, how long can she be in the water, at what time should we go for a swim.. or anything, any kind of advice would be much appreciated. Thank you :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 26, 2015, 04:18 AM
    I see no need for a swim cap, but she should wear a big cloth hat both in the pool and out. It is better to shield her from the sun than it is to slather her with sunscreen, which she might get in her mouth. Sunglasses too. I'd keep a tee shirt on her, even in the water. Keep her out of the water between about noon and 2. Don't let go of her in the water, unless it's for one second with you right in front of her, and with you on solid footing. Some people go underwater with babies, who do seem to instinctively hold their breath under water, but that doesn't mean they won't gulp some when splashing around on the surface. Keep very close to her out of the water too. Babies almost universally love swimming!

You can get sunburn through clouds, BTW.

May 26, 2015, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I see no need for a swim cap, but she should wear a big cloth hat both in the pool and out. It is better to shield her from the sun than it is to slather her with sunscreen, which she might get in her mouth. Sunglasses too. I'd keep a tee shirt on her, even in the water. Keep her out of the water between about noon and 2. Don't let go of her in the water, unless it's for one second with you right in front of her, and with you on solid footing. Some people go underwater with babies, who do seem to instinctively hold their breath under water, but that doesn't mean they won't gulp some when splashing around on the surface. Keep very close to her out of the water too. Babies almost universally love swimming!

You can get sunburn through clouds, BTW.
    Thank you so much for the help. I am also worried if the water gets into her ears & nose and what if she gulp some.. does it bring any harm to her?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2015, 05:31 AM
    You also need to check with the pool. Some pools do not allow babies in diapers. You should also investigate special diapers designed for swimming that have greater absorbency and leak proofing.

As for swallowing any pool water, that should not be harmful. As for how long, you don't want her fingers to get pruney. As soon as that starts take her out.

May 26, 2015, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You also need to check with the pool. Some pools do not allow babies in diapers. You should also investigate special diapers designed for swimming that have greater absorbency and leak proofing.

As for swallowing any pool water, that should not be harmful. As for how long, you don't want her fingers to get pruney. As soon as that starts take her out.
    Glad to hear that it'll bring no harm to my baby. Anyway, I bought her a swim diaper, I hope they will allow that.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 26, 2015, 05:57 AM
    Maybe you can call the pool, or the place with the pool, or they post rules online.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2015, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady H View Post
    Anyway, I bought her a swim diaper, I hope they will allow that.
    Bring the box cover or some proof that they are swim diapers to the pool the first time you go.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 26, 2015, 06:46 AM
    There are swim diapers and swimming diaper covers. When we took our daughter to the pools we had both. The main point is to keep any solids out of the pool. They've got the capacity to deal with urine in the pool because people will pee in the pool, but fecal matter is biohazardious. Every pool we've gone to has insisted that they've got a swim diaper at the very least, some kids we saw ONLY had the swim diaper. We liked the additional support of the cover and they're reusable.

Beyond that, swim shirt (UV protected), hat of some variety, wide brimmed of course, sandals for us just in case.

Just make sure to keep your hands on your child at all times. They should be on solids so the water shouldn't hurt them. Be smart and careful and you'll be fine.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 26, 2015, 06:05 PM
    Just to add... be sure the pool is owned and maintained by a reputable company. It can't hurt to check how often they do a water check to know that chemical levels are adequate and appropriate. Keep baby well hydrated in the warm weather... they do not transfer excess heat as well as adults or older children.
    Many of the children's sunscreen can be used at 6 months but read labels. Guard against prolonged sun exposure....which will be less than what you might have for yourself. Her skin is more susceptible to sun damage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it right to be bringing up the past? [ 4 Answers ]

I cheated on my girl friend like 6 times during our 2 years together. She decided to give me another chance. I regret it with all my heart. Now we keep fighting and even though she knows I won't do her wrong again she still brings up the past out of the blue often. I get mad when she brings it up...

Bringing on labour [ 15 Answers ]

I'm due this Friday and my doctor said that he wants to induce me if I haven't went ito labour before next Wednesday. So I am trying things to help get me to diale and go ito labour so I don't have to be induced. I'm trying spicy foods and walking a lot more, I bought some chamomile tea and I'm...

View more questions Search