Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HellRayser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2015, 04:34 PM
    Got power to battery, starter, power at ignition... but nothing works. No elect start
    Got power to the battery, starter, ignition, everywhere, but no lights, horn electric start... nothing. Everything is dead. '75 Superglide FXE Harley.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 24, 2015, 05:14 PM
    When I used to work on the coast at Point Magu, CA, my motorcycle would sometimes do that. The problem used to be a thin, invisible film of corrosion on the battery terminals. Try cleaning the battery terminals and connections and see if that solves the problem. Also, you might check all fuses with a test light or multi-meter. I would also remove and fully charge the battery, at a rate not exceeding 2 amps. Finally, make sure the "kill" switch is not turned on. I've even seen a bad kill switch prevent a cycle from starting.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2015, 08:14 AM
    What Vehicle? You have power to Ignition, Do you have Power out(Ignition,Start)?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2015, 09:18 AM
    Where exactly did you measure everything... and what did you use to measure it. What voltages do you have? Since the battery cable goes to the starter relay (and there is a second thick cable to the starter solenoid) before branching out to the circuit breakers, unless its been rewired differently, this has circuit breakers and not fuses which can and do go bad sometimes... what does it measure there with the switch off, and again with it on?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2015, 07:52 AM
    Sorry I missed the smaller print saying it was a Harley. Doesn't Matter as Many Starting systems are the similar
    A Good Ground from Battery to Engine Block,(Starter). Then a Large Red(Positive Cable to Starter), Then you will have a small wire(positive) from Ignition Switch to Energize the Solenoid. If all conditions are met and when you turn Ignition and power makes it to the small Start wire at Starter, and it doesn't start, then Starter is Bad. You do need a good Battery, Good Hots and Grounds. Some Harleys have a TSSM(Turn Signal Security Module), which disables starter and Ignition. Some Starters need the Clutch Pulled In, or may have other safetys disabling the Starter. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 F350 7.3 L power stroke diesel want start not even with starter fluid [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1995 F-350 7.3 L power stroke diesel want start no even with starter fluid

What supplies power to the ignition starter switch on a 1979 Dodge D100 [ 0 Answers ]

I replaced the old broken instrument cluster with compatible Auto Meter gauges. To do this I had to cut the original (for lack of a better term) power dispersement unit for the old gauges and wired them individually to the new gauges. When I tried to start the truck there was no power coming into...

Have power all the way to starter and mower still won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Mower barely turns when trying to start acts like in a bind.Motor is good and all safety switches solonoid switch and battery is good.Could there be a problem with key switch? It is a craftsman 917.273351

79 dodge d 150 won't start or get power to the battery [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 79 dodge power wagon. Sometimes the truck would start normally and other times there would not even be power to turn on the head lights. I would mess with the battery connections and make sure things are plugged in and usually it would start up. This last time it would do nothing at all....

View more questions Search