Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Queen15rs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2015, 11:00 AM
    Show cause for failing to pay
    I caught a case over 10 years ago. I served my probation and paid my court fines and costs. Since catching the case I am disabled and on a fixed income. I have to appear in front of the judge Friday. Can they lock me up for this?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 21, 2015, 11:41 AM
    What country?
    What was the general type of crime and how much did you owe?
    Disability and fixed income don't matter much, but when did that start?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 21, 2015, 11:44 AM
    Are you going to court for the same case or a different one?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 21, 2015, 11:46 AM
    You wrote that you "paid [your] court fines and costs", so what is it that you are accused of failing to pay?

By the way, "caught a case" is a weird way of putting it; sounds like some sort of infectious disease. I assume that you were charged with some sort of crime, prosecuted in court, and convicted; correct?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 21, 2015, 11:46 AM
    Did you meet ALL your court ordered obligations 10 years ago, or is this a new case?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 21, 2015, 02:19 PM
    This isn't making any sense. #1.. you didn't "Catch a case" you got caught . #2... if you did your probation, and paid everything as ordered as you say you did, then what do you owe now and to who?

As was mentioned. You owe what you owe... there is no excuse or free ride. If you failed to meet your original obligations as ordered by the court ...then the consequences should be clear to you as you were told back then what they would be.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2015, 09:41 PM
    Caught a case, is more of a phrase used within the criminal element and often more people from "the hood" (sorry) I have heard it more often from inmates in the prisons. That why it takes away verbally, their responsibility of a crime.

Yes, if there are unpaid money from your sentence, they can lock you back up. (in most places in the US) There are three cases in US appeals court about this, but none have made it to the Supreme Court to my knowledge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay back maternity leave pay or disability pay? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm going out on disability next week for about three-four weeks. After that, I'll be having a baby and I'll get 6 weeks maternity pay at 50%. Do I have to pay my company back for this if I quit while on leave? My benefits are under my husband.

Legal, Go a restraing order on my bank acct. I didn't pay a bill or show up in court [ 2 Answers ]

I owed a bill for $200.00 and didn't pay after court. I missed my court date and now The lawyer has put a restraing order on my bank account. I would like to pay the money. What do I do now/

I do show, the plaintiff wins, how will court determin pay? [ 3 Answers ]

If I don’t show up and the plaintiff wins, will the court then request my financial information in order to determin what payments I could handle or do they just say pay and force me to appeal in some way with my financial circumstances, if so how?

Failing to Appear [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I'm 16 years old and I live in canada,I ben charged with theft under 5000 , anyway I forgot to take my fingerprints at the station due to my grandpa's death. Am I going to be arrested and ever since I got caught the store said they will mail me a letter with the fine, how I have not received a...

View more questions Search