Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluepersonality Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

May 19, 2015, 11:22 AM
    How to get help- Home Remodeling Ideas
    Hello, I want to know if there are any sites out there where I can post pics of my home, in this case my kitchen, & get peoples ideas on possible remodels? I want to know if it is possible to turn my kitchen into an open-floor layout, best placement for oven, etc. Thanks
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 19, 2015, 01:05 PM
    There are many sites you can do that on just like you can post it here too if you wish. Part of the problem that your going to face is that kitchens are an individual space just like in most any home. As far as an open layout that is going to depend on how your home is built and what load bearing walls are near the area you want your dream kitchen to be.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2015, 01:12 PM
    I wish I could help. You can post pictures here! But you need a pretty reasonable knowledge of your house structure, specifically which walls are load bearing and which are not.

These days I see a lot of huge kitchens on TV shows, and I am dismayed! The fridge is 15' from the sink and cooktop or something. The old 'work triangle' is still my most important part, sink, cooktop (not oven) and fridge need to be within a triangle with 4' sides, 5' at most.

I don't like wasted corners, yet I don't like circular shelves either. I like a row of 12" deep wall cabinets on the FLOOR where those wasteful 24" deep base cabinets would have been.

I am only 5' tall. I have counters that are 33" high for the most part, and wish I had an area with a 28" high counter, for mixing things in bowls.

I have a spice shelf that runs 8 feet just under the wall cabinets.

I wish my oven were at a special height just for me: When the bottom rack is out, it would be level with the island across from it. I don't even have the island yet. Islands are also great for short people, for whom wall cabinets are just unreachable useless towers that need a ladder. So if you are short, have one row of cabinets that hang down much closer to the counter.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 19, 2015, 02:42 PM
    If you go to Houzz, you will find thousands of kitchen ideas. I just helped my son open a non bearing wall, made a 10X4 opening with a dining top. Found the idea on Houzz.
    Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design

May 20, 2015, 02:12 PM
    Is it only after you post the question that you can add the images? I see how to add images here as I type this, but as I posted the initial question I could not find how to do that?.
    joypulv, I am short, so your input is very much appreciated! And I agree on the wasted space with the 24" deep base cabinets-which is exactly what my kitchen has... unfortunately there is no room for an island, which I've always dreamed of having. I have a galley kitchen, I can touch both counters at the same time. & with the placement of the oven & cabinets above, I can not upgrade to a bigger fridge! I have a regular sized 2-door fridge (I suppose its small now looking at the new options) that is almost 3" to wide for my kitchen. Damn!
    ma0641- I have heard of houzz & will continue looking there, I am somewhat an unimaginative person I think because I have a hard time taking those concepts & picturing them in my kitchen.
    I think I will post pics later, see what you guys think then. Thank you!
    current pert

May 21, 2015, 09:12 AM
    I still have a galley kitchen (but I can't reach across) and I took out the 24" corners. I put a wall cabinet on the floor on the 'wasted' wall, on a 2.5" base, and a shallow counter made out of wood, that is slightly lower than the big counters.

One of the best investments many people can make is a new fridge. Freezer on the bottom is much more efficient, as is the rest of the technology, and we saved $35/mo on electric right from the start. I got a good deal from Home Depot on an LG 33" wide.

May 21, 2015, 10:49 AM
    joypulv you have some great ideas!
    Attachment 47426Attachment 47427Attachment 47428Attachment 47429Attachment 47430
    So I have attempted to add some pics here. The wooden cabinets on both sides entering into the kitchen are something I would like to get rid of, however I am not sure how it'd look taking them out & I am SO limited with food storage- really need more. Then if you look at the "dining room" area, how am I supposed to fit a table in their comfortably? Even more so I wanted a hutch but there's just no room. You can see how I don't have the room for a better fridge, unless I cut into the counters but how would that turn out? Before I go on I want to see if the pics loaded...
    current pert

May 21, 2015, 11:45 AM
    Screen just says 'attachment no longer available.'

I bought graph paper pads at I think a CVS and drew top view floor plans, one square = 4". Include the thickness of interior walls, and where the outlets are.

May 21, 2015, 11:54 AM
    Huh attachments work on my end so I don't know what to do. The graph paper is a great idea, & I already have some I got for backyard planning. It's just the appliance placement & food storage that has me stumped. I'll try a pic at a time... Attachment 47432
    current pert

May 22, 2015, 03:04 AM
    still can't see it
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 22, 2015, 04:06 AM
    bluepersonality, instead of 'attaching; the pictures, can you use the following directions for 'posting' the pictures. The difference is that the pictures will show up in the post instead of a link. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    1. At the bottom of the box that you type in there's a link that says "go advanced". Click it.

2. A paperclip symbol will show up on the top option on the box that you type in. Click the paperclip.

3. A new box will pop up called "manage your attachments".

4. Hit the "browse" button.

5. Find the picture you want to post and double click on it.

6. Hit the "upload" button beside the browse button.

7. Under the section "Upload file from a URL", a link will appear. That's your picture.

8. Close the manage attachments window.

9. Click on the paperclip again. Your link for your picture will be there. Click on it.

10. Post.

You can post up to 5 pictures per post.

May 22, 2015, 12:20 PM
    Name:  Kitchen (4).jpg
Views: 51
Size:  1.42 MBName:  Kitchen (3).jpg
Views: 53
Size:  2.02 MBName:  Kitchen (5).jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.70 MBName:  Kitchen (2).jpg
Views: 53
Size:  2.04 MBName:  Kitchen (1).jpg
Views: 63
Size:  2.07 MB

Thank you Cat1864, if that worked you should now be able to see my kitchen in all its ugly glory, in large pics. *shutter*... let the ideas pour in!
    current pert

May 22, 2015, 12:25 PM
    It's cute the way it is... depends on how many of you in the house (beside the dog)!
    Do you wish you could take down the wall between the kitchen and living room? How thick is it?

May 22, 2015, 01:27 PM
    2 of us in the house, its supposed to be 3, but ex wife is being a pain... but I digress...
    Oh yessss I really would love to open it up into the living room. I don't know yet where the supporting beams are but that wall is about 8".
    How can I get a bigger fridge in there? How can I incorporate more storage for food? Is an actual dining room possible?
    I have day dreamed of extending the outer wall outside so I can fit an island into the center, but that may be pushing it a bit huh...
    current pert

May 22, 2015, 04:07 PM
    I mean the wall with the ivy. It would be about 4.5" thick if a bearing wall or an inch less if not - usually, but not always. Where is it 8"?

Sure, a dining room, by moving the microwave and water and putting a drop leaf table against the wall. You can get more counter space for things like the microwave by taking out the pine cabinets and extending out another foot, but they are cute and it's nice to have the glass doors.
    Extending through an exterior wall is pushing it, and the hard part is foundation and roof, even if you get a beam across. I don't see an island in the cards.
    What's in the next room past the fridge? Could part of that be a pantry?
    Internet Research Expert

May 22, 2015, 04:46 PM
    What is the room to the left of the kitchen and is there a door in it? From the pictures it looks to be a washroom ? If so then maybe part of that space can be repurposed.

May 22, 2015, 05:02 PM
    I guess I'll have to measure the wall when I get home...
    I am kind of wishy washy on the pine cabinets. I like the amount of storage they have, however I'd like if they were facing the same way as the other kitchen cabinets & no matter how much I scrub it never really feels clean. The people who lived there before were kind of dirty. I've just replaced things here & there because of it. We're getting ready to rip up carpet & add hard wood flooring...
    Anyway. As for the room past the kitchen, on the side with the fridge is the hot water heater, but I could probably fit some more storage in there once I get the washer & dryer set up right. It's not much however.
    I think you are right on with the one wall though. I am pretty sure it is a load bearing wall. If it works out I may open it & put a beam up for support.
    What are you thinking for the larger fridge setup? Tricky right? Or am I just not creative enough...
    current pert

May 22, 2015, 05:24 PM
    I am not a fan of wide sinks. No more than single bowl, 25", in a 27" cabinet, for me. That would move your dishwasher over and give you room for another cabinet.
    I'm not a fan of stoves right next to fridges. Hot next to cold! Put a cabinet on either side of the stove. Then you can have a wider fridge.
    Put an open shelf on nice brackets under most of the cabinets. I can't even reach your first shelf in your cabinets. It will add a lot of shelf space for dishes used every day.
    I have a tiny shelf all the way across for spices.

May 23, 2015, 12:49 PM
    joypulv I like the way you think. Do you think it would be worth the cost & hassle to put a fan above the stovetop? I hate not having one there, is it worth it?
    5 7/8 is the wall
    So if it were your project you would remove the cabinetry & install new, placing the stove in between 2 cabinets, with a larger fridge in the same spot as the current one. You would install a smaller sink adding an extra cabinet on the side, keeping the dishwasher in the same spot. Am I seeing your vision?
    Now that we know that is a load bearing wall, would you open it up, or make do?
    The cabinets above the dishwasher, I was thinking about doing floating shelving there instead: if I did this 1 would that look good and 2 would it need to be done on the opposite side?
    joypulv, thank you so much for this
    Internet Research Expert

May 23, 2015, 01:41 PM
    I asked about the other room because from what your saying it can be converted into extra kitchen space. Also depending on what is on the outside of that room and egress you might be able to build a small attatchment outside to put your water heater in.

That being said you might consider an over / under washer dryer unit and be able to move that wall over another 3 ft. the corner room where the door is may be able to accomedate a small table and you can flow the kitchen into that area.

By moving things around you might get enough room to move your microwave into the kitchen and combine that space with a range hood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making extra cash at home, any ideas ? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm a stay at home mom because I want to raise my kids myself. At the moment I'm short of cash and need any ideas on how to make extra money, not a lot of money just to cover the basics from day to day. Also a friend of mine is very succesfull in selling perfume which she buys straight from the...

Home remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what I need to install a bathroom in my basement... what kind of permits and legal stuff I need to do before I do anything :confused:

Remodeling Home [ 2 Answers ]

:o Hello. We are in the middle of remodeling our home and I am trying to decide whether it would be easier to antique my kitchen cabinets versus going with the stained look. My cabinets are currently painted and I would prefer them to be a light shade of brown stain. How would I do that myself.

Brainstorming Some Work From Home Ideas [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is currently unemployed and prepping for kids. What if as a collective we came up with some ideas for home based income producing activities? There are enough people on this site that we could work as some sort of "Online collaboration". I guess if you had ideas yourself you wouldn't be in...

Home based business ideas [ 7 Answers ]

I want to know some of the home based business. Where I can spent my spare time regularly and earn money .:confused:

View more questions Search