Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kat_K Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2015, 12:44 AM
    Alcohol or EtG test? What do you think?
    I attend a methadone clinic for maintenance, and recently went on probation. I have been ordered to do 4 random UAs a month, and can obtain these through my clinic. I was already doing daily breathalyzers at the clinic due to a failed UA for ethanol. I am ASSUMING that it was only an ethanol test, otherwise a lot more people would have to do those BAs everyday! I was drinking quite heavily at the time, so it isn't surprising that I failed for ethanol when I was going to the clinic at 5:30 am after drinking the previous night. Anyway, when I went on probation, they changed the protocol for my UAs. I am now assigned a color as opposed to the system alerting them to give me a UA, and I am to call or check the board to see if it is my "color" each mon, wed, and fri. I am also being monitored now. i worry they could have started etg testing due to me being on probation, or due to the UA i failed previously. but i am only being charged 15 a test. also, i was able to look at the page they tear away my receipt from today and it said, additional tests: oxy, alcohol. i want to think "alcohol" just means ALCOHOL. but is it possible it's an etg? I quit drinking for the most part anyway, so I don't mind to continue my abstinence if needed. But I am human, and wouldn't mind being able to have a drink here and there. I have tried asking the personnel at the clinic what I am being tested for and they are really dodgy. One lady said, "yeah SOME people get etg tests, ask your counsellor." but my counsellor is brand spankin new and had no clue. The clinic director when asked about kombucha drinks (they contain trace alcohol, I was trying to be covert lol) just said don't drink them, despite not looking at any of my information :/ it's all quite frustrating. Not to mention my offence wasn't an alcohol related crime. FINALLY if I had a test today at 11:45 AM, Monday, and had a 200 ml bottle of vodka between 12-5 on Friday, would I be fine anyway? I had a 10+ mile bike ride on Sunday, and drank a decent amount of water before the test (voiding about 3xs prior). 120 lb female.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2015, 03:52 AM
    My guess yes it will be ETG. You may as well, pack a bag and go on to jail. Sorry you have a serious addition and instead of stopping you want or hope for a way to cheat it, or get around it.

With any of those drinking, (even the ones with trace amounts, the NG beers) you will fail.

I guess you do not fully understand the part of None, No, stop.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 19, 2015, 07:13 AM
    You have about 65 hours between the test and the last consumed alcohol and you consumed 4-5 shots of vodka, this is heavy ish consumption. That chances are about even that you will fail. You've failed before. You're human, and have free will so you can say no. It sucks, but that's life. You might want or need alcohol. "But I am human, and wouldn't mind being able to have a drink here and there.", but you can't right now and you now the cost of breaking the rules.

When it comes down to it we live in a free society and can do what we want regardless of it is. If we break a law, that we've agreed to, then there are consequences. We must be aware and accept what the consequences are when we do something. So you broke the law, you lose rights and freedoms because you've shown that you can't live within the agreed societal framework. You do you time but because of the offense your freedoms are restricted for a period. Again you can either follow the rules or break the rules. You've chosen to break the rules and have been caught once. You're choosing to break the rules again. You might be caught, prepare again for the consequences.

You're human. You have a choice, and if you chose wisely then this will be over sooner.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2015, 07:54 AM
    Come on, you were already in a maintenance program, and failed a pee test on top of that, so fair or not, human or not, abstinence from all drinking and drugging of any kind is the way you serve your probation. They have the lawful right to test you by any means they deem necessary, and you have been informed of this, so get the cheating/covert thing out of your head, or pay the consequences for being a flawed human.

No they don't have to inform you of the kind of test they will give you, so do the right thing for yourself.

Good luck.

May 19, 2015, 09:42 AM
    fr chuck I don't have a serious addiction to alcohol, you are making an assumption. Second I don't think I would go straight to jail, although I am sure I will be scolded if I failed a test. This is based on the fact I have seen A LOT of people fail A SINGLE test, and only end up with other conditions etc. I guess it gets on your nerves the forum is flooded with these types of questions... but maybe just stop looking at them.

Craven the test I failed before was a regular ethanol test because I had consumed a few drinks after midnight and gone to the clinic (I walk don't worry) at 5:30 am. Thank you for choosing a more polite way of saying what chuck said. I really agree with you all and don't think I will drink again. Not worth the worry. I really DON'T have a problem stopping. I was just bored and made a dumb decision.

No one cares to comment on the test being $15? I am more curious about the test I already took as opposed to the tests I WILL take now. Also, knowing that regular ethanol tests are performed at the clinic, don't you think it would have said ETG on my paperwork not "alcohol"?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 19, 2015, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat_K View Post
    fr chuck I don't have a serious addiction to alcohol, you are making an assumption. Second I don't think I would go straight to jail, although I am sure I will be scolded if I failed a test. This is based on the fact I have seen A LOT of people fail A SINGLE test, and only end up with other conditions etc. I guess it gets on your nerves the forum is flooded with these types of questions... but maybe just stop looking at them.

Craven the test I failed before was a regular ethanol test because I had consumed a few drinks after midnight and gone to the clinic (I walk don't worry) at 5:30 am. Thank you for choosing a more polite way of saying what chuck said. I really agree with you all and don't think I will drink again. Not worth the worry. I really DON'T have a problem stopping. I was just bored and made a dumb decision.

No one cares to comment on the test being $15? I am more curious about the test I already took as opposed to the tests I WILL take now. Also, knowing that regular ethanol tests are performed at the clinic, don't you think it would have said ETG on my paperwork not "alcohol"?
    Based on the information provided... I think it's a fair assumption to make.

I attend a methadone clinic for maintenance, and recently went on probation. I have been ordered to do 4 random UAs a month, and can obtain these through my clinic. I was already doing daily breathalyzers at the clinic due to a failed UA for ethanol. I am ASSUMING that it was only an ethanol test, otherwise a lot more people would have to do those BAs everyday! I was drinking quite heavily at the time, so it isn't surprising that I failed for ethanol when I was going to the clinic at 5:30 am after drinking the previous night. Anyway, when I went on probation, they changed the protocol for my UAs. I am now assigned a color as opposed to the system alerting them to give me a UA, and I am to call or check the board to see if it is my "color" each mon, wed, and fri. I am also being monitored now. i worry they could have started etg testing due to me being on probation, or due to the UA i failed previously. but i am only being charged 15 a test. also, i was able to look at the page they tear away my receipt from today and it said, additional tests: oxy, alcohol. i want to think "alcohol" just means ALCOHOL. but is it possible it's an etg? I quit drinking for the most part anyway, so I don't mind to continue my abstinence if needed. But I am human, and wouldn't mind being able to have a drink here and there. I have tried asking the personnel at the clinic what I am being tested for and they are really dodgy. One lady said, "yeah SOME people get etg tests, ask your counsellor." but my counsellor is brand spankin new and had no clue. The clinic director when asked about kombucha drinks (they contain trace alcohol, I was trying to be covert lol) just said don't drink them, despite not looking at any of my information :/ it's all quite frustrating. Not to mention my offence wasn't an alcohol related crime. FINALLY if I had a test today at 11:45 AM, Monday, and had a 200 ml bottle of vodka between 12-5 on Friday, would I be fine anyway? I had a 10+ mile bike ride on Sunday, and drank a decent amount of water before the test (voiding about 3xs prior). 120 lb female.
    You are subject to random testing... and yet you could not abstain FROM use while you were. That on its own merit indicates an issue. Even though it might not be your primary addiction. Otherwise it would be very easy to abstain if you see the point that was being made.

Smart or dumb decision... I'll leave that up to you. The fact is there was an URGE to do it, maybe even a strong one.. and that is the root problem.

If it was as easy as you say... then you would not have make the decision. With all the booze I have in my house... I can go months without touching a drop, without even having to think twice about it... to show a point of reference.

And about the additional testing...its their right to order it. A failed random test gives them a valid reason to order it on a regular basis in addition to your current testing. Its not uncommon for an addict to trade one addiction for another..

In fact, thats what methadone is for...trading something else for that one to manage an eventual withdrawl.

May 19, 2015, 11:13 AM
    Of course it was a dumb decision. I had a couple drinks on a Friday knowing I couldn't be tested until Monday, and I am 99% sure it was just an ethanol test (this was just confirmed at my clinic visit today). So it wasn't a big risk. The urge to drink wasn't that strong either. I watch my boyfriend drink nearly everyday and don't partake. I purposely keep alcohol at an arms length so as to NOT end up trading one addiction for another. Like I said, I just made a calculated (albeit dumb) decision, and then started worrying because that's how I am. I don't know why I am defending myself, I guess that DOES make me look bad. I just wanted someone who knows something of drug testing facilities to tell me whether it would specifically say "etg" on my test form. I still don't plan on drinking again despite finding out they are only testing for ethanol. I was considering it, but as you, smoothy, and my counsellor said, my PO could request an EtG at any time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2015, 12:12 PM
    Po's and testers talk among themselves all the time and keep clients off balance and ill informed. What better way to see who is prepared, and who tries to cheat, and MANY think they can cheat. You think an experienced PO won't throw a client a curve every now and then?

Doesn't matter what the paperwork, or "receipts" may say, or past practices you have had, since PO's have a wide discretion on how to treat clients. Trust me they have seen many who try many things to outsmart the test and every counselor warns you up front about what could happen.

Take whatever warning you get, including the original paper you signed at the start of this process that tells you they can take steps to check, or double check any results with whatever confirmation tests they deem necessary.

Just because you have never seen, or experienced a failed drug/alcohol test leading to jail time (pending a hearing) doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or can't. That would be a flawed human dumb mistake. All you need are prior felony/misdemeanor convictions on your record.

Keep it real.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 19, 2015, 12:44 PM
    That is your cross to bear. Don't be dumb, if you know there are certain places you can be tempted then stay away. If you know you'll get bored then find something to do. Anything. Walk, exercise, Xbox, pole dancing, or what every suits your fancy. The problem with dumb decisions is that the are also often life changing.

$15 for an EtG/EtS test? Okay. That's like money and stuff right? Costs about the same as a fifth of cheap vodka I think. Damn them?

The logic and logisitics of the tests are solely the territory of the facility and your Parole Officer. They could be doing a gambit of testing, or they think that EtG/EtS might be too confusing. "Gosh Doc, I didn't have any EtGs, all I had here MGDs."
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

May 20, 2015, 12:35 AM
    I have tested for CPS, the court and walk-in. For CPS, tests were FREE! For court, it was minimal... sorry, I don't recall the exact amount, but was a 10 panel + EtG and the EtG part was simply an add-on called out as Alcohol on the "menu" - as they called it. Nowhere was it referred to as EtG. Prices vary a great deal, based upon facility, if you are covering the full cost of the test, your location, the testing facility... etc. The answers I found were not provided by the testing facility, CPS, or the courts.

There is Alcohol (Ethanol) and there is Alcohol testing. The former tests for alcohol (EtOH) in the urine the latter tests for EtG, or the metabolites of alcohol consumption. This was at a TASC testing center. Not all are going to be identical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Positive EtG alcohol test no alcohol has been consumed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, My son is on probation for not taking a breathalyzer test last month of his senior year in college. He is in his 6th month of being an assistant GM at a fitness club (He is a rec major). He took a urine test a month ago and drug test was fine, they sent it to a lab and it came back positive,...

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

Help, Positive ETG Alcohol test and no alcohol has been consumed? [ 21 Answers ]

And again. More failed ETGs. He is not drinking. What to do? Could there be something wrong with his liver? He DOES NOT drink.

View more questions Search