Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adoredevotion Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Dog who won't stop barking
    I have a sheltie who is almost two years old. She was rescued from a pet store that was going out of business. After purchasing her I found out that they had her in a crate with a much older animal who would "bully" her around. Her first few months involved her being extremely skiddish and it took a long time for her to become comfortable with us. She is now very friendly with those she feels most comfortable with. However anytime someone (famliar or unfamiliar) comes into the house or into the room that she is in she begins barking (non-stop), and what I could only describe as snarling. I can't seem to get her barking under control. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Sincerely

Adoredevotion
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Spay her if not already. The above are fundamental techniques I suggest for almost all behavior problems and should help with barking too. The truth is, Labs usually don't bark that much and I don't have methods of controlling barking that I have been successful using. It isn't even in the manual for them. The manual does have a suggested reading list which I put in the sticky at the top of the dog forum. Right now, I am working on The Other End of the Leash by Patrica McDonnell.

She suggests the first step is not to yell at the dog. After all, usually if one dog starts to bark, any others around will to. So yell at your dog when it barks and it is happy to have you bark with it. Quietly tell it enough and walk over to it with a treat, doesn't need to be very big. Let her know you have it and use it to lure her away from who she is barking at and praise her as she shifts her attention to the treat and away from barking. Once away from where she was barking, give her the treat.

Unlike much of my other advice, this is not something I have tried and found works. It does come from a reliable source and I would trust it more than something I found on a website I know little about. I just hope she isn't smart enough to figure out if she barks, she gets a treat plus your attention.

It is my daughter's book. I will see how she makes out with the little terrier mix they have that is a barker. The book was a Christmas present, and he was still barking when they were here at New Years.
    Adoredevotion Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Good advice I have to say. I tried it out minus the treat cause all the other dogs were getting excited. I keep my voice in a low tone and directed her to come to me. When she did I quitely told her "no bark". She calmed down and then I praised her with a belly and ear rub which she likes. Hopefully with continued and consistent attention to the matter she will decrease the barking. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
    Adoredevotion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop my dog from peeing all over my house! [ 18 Answers ]

I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes...

Dog barking at 7 am~any advice? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi again, I posted a few weeks ago because my new shelter rescue dog, Barkley, (a small-ish one year old lab mix) was having diarrhea in the middle of the night. Luckily that is all resolved now, thank goodness! He sleeps through the night, in his crate, which we keep in our bedroom. Now he's...

My dog won't stop digging! [ 24 Answers ]

Ruby and Labman, I have a dog, Kimmie, she is half lab and half either rott or dobie. Well, anyway, we cannot get her to stop digging up the back yard. She seems like she knows she is doing wrong because she looks up at the house before proceeding to dig. If she sees one of us she just mosies...

Barking Dog Situation [ 3 Answers ]

Please help, I have an Australian Shepherd who won't hush. He keeps me up all night. I need some sleep. Please help.:confused:

Dog won't stop barking! [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just won't try barking!! He's an american bulldog and he is pretty lazy.. I tried everything! I tried to see if he needs attention, if he needs to go outside, if he's hungry(or thirsty), and if he wants a spot to sit down... NOTHING worked!! PLEASE HELP ME Thanks...

View more questions Search