Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KST2015 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2015, 11:22 AM
    Covering maternity leave
    I am currently covering maternity leave. I am really not enjoying the new role but I am unsure if the person I'm covering for will be returning to work or not.

If they do not return and assuming I would be offered the role on a permanent basis am I able to go back into my previous role and they recruit for the role I was covering?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 18, 2015, 11:47 AM
    There are really very, very few federal and state laws that govern employment questions such as this.
    What you are asking would be under company policy or union contracts - IF at all.
    I see no harm at all in asking human resources in a way that doesn't call attention to the fact that you aren't very happy about the job you are covering.
    I would GUESS that most company policy would stipulate that you go back to your old position, but your company may not have any policy about it at all, AND it wouldn't mean a lot anyway. If they weren't thrilled with you at your old position, maybe they are doing this to see if you will please them more here. In other words, they could have just let you go. There's no way to know.

There are 'nice' ways to try to find out. You can smile when you ask, and say something about missing your old job and hoping you can have it back soon... but be very careful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maternity leave - can employer force me to stay on leave longer than desired? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife is planning to be out on maternity leave. Her employer offers some paid maternity leave, but she will be continuing on unpaid leave for a few additional weeks. She works for a project-based company. As projects and clients come and go, employees are often laid off if the company does not...

Maternity Leave [ 1 Answers ]

My company offers 100% paid maternity leave after 12 months service to permanent employees. I have just completed a 12 mth contract and I am signing up to another 18mths in the same company. Am I entitled to maternity pay if I was to go on leave during that 18mths?

Maternity leave [ 4 Answers ]

This is a very small company with 9 employees and the company does not have a written policy for sick time, vacation time or maternity leave. Are they required to give sick time, vacation time and if so can they use this time for maternity leave. Currently they give the standard 1 week vacation...

One week from going out on maternity leave. Can I change my leave date? [ 2 Answers ]

One week from going out on maternity leave. Can I change my leave date so I can use my PTO and get my full commission pay? Otherwise I will be cut 25% or more from what deals close while out on leave. However if I was on PTO-such as vacation-I would get 100%. Help!!

View more questions Search