Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newyorkmets359 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2015, 04:57 PM
    Being swindled by family/sisters of mother's estate
    My 2 sisters have power of attorney,mother signed over deed to the house prior to mom passing away in 2012,I found out about house selling for 75,000.00 by the buyer,2 sisters were never planning to tell me... what legally can I do here in Florida? Money for house was to be divided 4 ways.

I went to courthouse to check on will-none,found power of attorney and quick deed signed in 2010,mther passed away in 201.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2015, 01:04 AM
    If the house sold, prior to the mothers death it is not part of the estate, but the money from the sale should have been. The estate needed to go to probate. Power of attorney ended at death.

So you can hire an attorney in the state where the estate is, and force an accounting of all the money and property, be done in court
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2015, 05:40 AM
    Money for house was to be divided 4 ways.
    Do you have any proof of that? Without proof, you are probably out in the cold.

Without a will, the estate would have to be divided according to local laws of inheritance (see Intestate Succession in Florida | Nolo.com) but since the house was transferred prior to mom's death its not part of the estate.

Your sister's had a valid POA which gave them the right to transfer the home, though you said that mom signed the quit claim deed so the POA wouldn't have applied. Once mom died the POA became void. So if they have continued to use the POA that is fraud and you might be able to use that to show the sisters are looting the estate.

But other than that, without proof that the proceeds of the house sale was to be divided among the heirs, you have no standing.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 15, 2015, 05:48 AM
    She lived 2 years beyond the sale of her house, and the big question is WHERE, and what were her medical needs? Taking care of her could have easily used all $75,000 and more. If she had nursing home care, and no other assets, Medicaid would have taken the entire 75,000. You can't keep the state from taking it unless you sell 5 years prior to death.
    I think you need to know more about what your sisters contributed to her care, or what was arranged for her care, before you start suing them, or feeling cheated.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 15, 2015, 06:43 AM
    Also, because it is in Florida, whether OP resided in the house at the time it was sold may be pertinent. OP may have had a homestead interest.

... I went to courthouse to check on will-none,found power of attorney and quick deed signed in 2010 ...
    Just because the people at the courthouse (normally, the clerk of court) don't have possession of a will doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere else.

As noted, a POA terminates on death, so it would be immaterial unless the deed was signed by the holder thereof.

The term is quit-claim deed. It simply means that the grantor doesn't warrant (guarantee) the title in the grantee (buyer). It has nothing to do with speed or convenience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The heirs to a family estate question the executor of a family estate? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello... My Mother passed away three years ago. My Father is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's. My younger brother, by two years, was chosen as executor. Another brother and I have grave concerns about how my brother is handling things. A vehicle was disposed of and we have no knowledge of where...

How to cash out of an estate with sisters [ 3 Answers ]

I have a situation where I am one third owner of a piece of real estate (home/land). It is the remianing piece of my mother's estate. My two sisters and I are co-owners of the property / estate. One of my sisters is currently occupying the home. I would like to determine if there is an easy way...

How to get my sisters away from my mother. [ 2 Answers ]

I stumbled across this website today and figured this site was as good a place to start as any. I am a 22 year old female, and have a sticky family situation. I have 2 young sisters, 15 and 13. The 15 year old just gave birth to a baby boy. They live in South Carolina, with both parents, and I...

Step sisters right to mums estate [ 1 Answers ]

My mum has passed and left a will which she has named a few things left to my step sister which she refers to in the will as my daughter I leave the clock,then the estate (house) she leaves to my children, my solicitor has advised this is only left to blood children but my sister is contesting the...

Mom putting real estate into sisters name [ 8 Answers ]

Mom is 84 years old and has just been diagnosed with parkinsons, she has a sizable real estate asset located in the state she lives (washington) that is free of any liens. My wife is the youngest of three girls and takes care of mom. The other two live out of state and have a very good phone...

View more questions Search