Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rumman001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2015, 08:10 AM
    Family law
    At what age can a child choose not to vist their non custodial parent in ontario
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2015, 01:11 PM
    There is no exact number but for reference you can try reading this article.

Ontario child custody
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2015, 01:34 PM
    This is part of the conundrum of visitation. As long as a court order for visitation is in place, the custodial parent MUST make the child available for visitation. But they do not have to force the child to go with or interact with that parent.

Scenario 1. NCP father has the right to visit in the mother's home 2 nights a week and one weekend a month. So father arrives for his visit one evening and the child runs off and closes the door to his room and refuses to come out. The mother must let the father in, but she does not have to force the child to leave the room.

Scenario 2. NCP mother has child every other weekend from Friday night to Sunday night. Mother arrives on Friday night and Father bring child out to car. But child refuses to get in car screaming they don't want to. Father does not have to physically force the child into the car.

In either case, the NCP's only option is to go back to court and ask the court to intervene if it will.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 14, 2015, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This is part of the conundrum of visitation....
    Well-explained. But complicating said conundrum is the possibility that a child's resistance may in fact result from the custodial parent's attitude, either express, implied, or simply sensed by the child. It can get complicated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2015, 03:31 PM
    Yes and that is where the court comes in. They will probably order the child to see a therapist who may be able to determine if the child is acting on their own or has been adversely influenced by the custodial parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family law [ 2 Answers ]

Can I sign over my parental rights and if so how do I go about doing so

Family law on common law relationships [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about common-law relationship. I have been in this relationship for 15 years and it looks like we are heading in the "splitsville"!! I would like to know what are my rights? i.e. will I be entitled to a spousal support and what about my son, he lived with us for 15 years? ...

Family Law/Common Law Marriage [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is currently living with a woman and her two children. He bought and had placed on her property a mobile home with the intent of living there alone. While he was at work, she along with her children moved into the home. He has been cohabiting with her and supporting them her for a year...

Family Law or Immigration Law vs. Marriage [ 0 Answers ]

Many users have been asking a lot of family law or immigration law questions on this section. These types of questions will be better served in another section of the forum. Family law questions should go here: Family Law - Ask Me Help Desk Family law questions involved any type of legal...

My son in law has abandoned his family, no food, money,etc. Can Ohio law do anything [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anything legally that can be done in the state of Ohio to a man arrested when he disappears leaves with no money, food, heat, car, etc. with wife and two young children.

View more questions Search