Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

May 13, 2015, 08:52 AM
    Verizon takeover my AOL/PC
    I am truly technically challenged. My PC took getting use to and I pay AOL
    To keep the benefits of online help and their icons and their background

Photos and thank you, birthday, get well cards, etc. Will all that come to an
    End? I don't have a smartphone so the wireless technology which they say
    Is beneficial means nothing to me.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 13, 2015, 09:05 AM
    With the buyout of AOL by Verizon my guess is that the AOL desktop will stay pretty much the same - how you get your email ("You have mail"), saving web site favorites, etc will probably not change too much. Those who have stayed with the AOL desktop over all these years tend to be people who don't want to change very much, so it would be silly for them to make a lot of "improvements" that would complicate your life. I would expect some rebranding, of course, and tie-ins to mobile phones (syncing favorites and photos, for example), but if you don't have a smart phone you won't care about that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2015, 10:59 AM
    Verizon is buying AOL more for its advertising business, not for the Internet Access client. However, I'm not as confident that Verizon will continue with that client. AOL has transform itself from an Internet Service Provider to a media content provider. That is its main business and the reason why Verizon wanted the purchase.

AOL was flying high as a ISP in the days of dialup. But AOL was not able to weather the switch from dialup to broadband. I'm not sure there was much they could do about it, but they just couldn't transform themselves to a viable client for broadband. Why should someone pay extra for the AOL Client when they can use broadband.

But, as I said, I am not sure that Verizon will care to keep the AOL client if it is losing money.

May 13, 2015, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    With the buyout of AOL by Verizon my guess is that the AOL desktop will stay pretty much the same - how you get your email ("You have mail"), saving web site favorites, etc will probably not change too much. Those who have stayed with the AOL desktop over all these years tend to be people who don't want to change very much, so it would be silly for them to make a lot of "improvements" that would complicate your life. I would expect some rebranding, of course, and tie-ins to mobile phones (syncing favorites and photos, for example), but if you don't have a smart phone you won't care about that.
    I hope you're right... you're certainly right in your description of those of us
    Who don't want change very much. Thank you for getting back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Verizon is buying AOL more for its advertising business, not for the Internet Access client. However, I'm not as confident that Verizon will continue with that client. AOL has transform itself from an Internet Service Provider to a media content provider. That is its main business and the reason why Verizon wanted the purchase.

AOL was flying high as a ISP in the days of dialup. But AOL was not able to weather the switch from dialup to broadband. I'm not sure there was much they could do about it, but they just couldn't transform themselves to a viable client for broadband. Why should someone pay extra for the AOL Client when they can use broadband.

But, as I said, I am not sure that Verizon will care to keep the AOL client if it is losing money.
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm afraid most of what you said I was over my head... ISP... I know I had broadband... Ihave fios... but are you sayig Verizon may drop AOL clients? This scares me because I'm so use to this PC and the MAC I have (it was a gift) confuses me to no end.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 13, 2015, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm not sure there was much they could do about it, but they just couldn't transform themselves to a viable client for broadband. Why should someone pay extra for the AOL Client when they can use broadband.
    Actually I suspect many (most?) users of AOL are on broadband, not dial up. My wife is a good example - she insists on running AOL for her email and does all her web browsing over it - the fact that it comes to our house over Comcast's cable broadband network is immaterial. And all that content that you referred to - things like Huffington Post - are right there on the desktop. And since the web browser portion is essentially Firefox I doubt there's much pressure to change. The only real question to me is whether maintaining the desktop features and support as opposed to becoming merely a web site portal with lots of content (a la Yahoo!) will be viable long term.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2015, 03:42 PM
    ISP is Internet Service Provider it is the company that provides your connection to the Internet. Jammy, for you that is Verizion FIOS.

EB, I agree that most of the people still using AOL are doing so over a broadband connection. My wife still uses her AOL.com e-mail address. But she accesses AOL.com using Chrome through our Optimum connection. I think Verizon will, eventually, drop a customized AOL client that is installed on the desktop in favor of just using AOL.com as a portal.

That customized client was great when everyone was doing dialup. It provided a relatively safe and secure way to get online. I was a Community Leader on AOL for several years. But the Web and browsers have made that client superfluous and unnecessary. I just can't see Verizon maintaining it if it is not generate profits.

May 25, 2015, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I truly hope you're right. You certainly got my profile right! Senior here... don't like change

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot open AOL from shortcut Nothing happens when I doubleclick on the AOL icon [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot open AOL from the desktop Icom. It worked earlier today but now nothing happens, I recently installed AOL 10.1 because 9.0 was having problems. My addressbook now has old addresses I changed to the correct ones months ago. I cannot access my sent mail. Mail takes a long time to send

How can I stop automatic updates to AOL's software? This started 2 days ago, AOL 9.0 [ 0 Answers ]

Every time I sign off AOL it says it is automatically making changes to the AOL software and gives me the option to "finish later" and also says "no changes are being made to your computer" These updates just started 2 days ago. I am using AOL 9.0

AOL connectivity &aol one-click fix [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to re- install "aol connectivity& aol one-click fix"?

Tenant Takeover [ 4 Answers ]

First of all,glad I found your site, maybe you can help. I live in Missouri. The apt I live in has 4 units and a basement (used to be empty). I have lived here for six years and am on a month to month lease (we pay extra for that)and am on disabled. The neighbor downstairs, also on disability,...

View more questions Search