Ask
    Kemeshap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2015, 03:21 PM
    Detainers
    How long can a inmate be detained after charges are dropped
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 12, 2015, 03:53 PM
    Only for the time reasonably necessary to process the paperwork.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2015, 08:05 PM
    First we have a issues with words.

An inmate is a person, already convicted of a crime. They are serving a sentence in a prison. Their conviction is not like charges, (if they have new charges that is different)

If a person is arrested and being held in jail (they are not an inmate but a detainee) if charges are dropped, depending on state law, normally about 24 hours to be released because there is nothing to hold them. Please clarify what is happening

This does not apply to National Security arrests and arrest of terrorist, who appear to be held, with no charges for long periods of time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Detainers [ 1 Answers ]

If you got to jail in a county in pa, and philly says they want you. How long do they have to come get you?

Parole detainers [ 1 Answers ]

What if u get new charges from 10 years ago while on parole can they put a detainer on u.now u didn't commit the charge while on parole.

Pennsylvania state detainers? [ 1 Answers ]

If you were arrested on an alleged voiolation of probation and the charges were withdrawn, what is the process of removing the detainer and how long should it take? The person has now served 3 months prior to the final hearing where the charges were finally withdrawn?

Unlawful detainers [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove an unlawful detainer from my rental history? I wasn't even aware that I had one!

View more questions Search