Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

May 10, 2015, 07:34 AM
    Fireplace question
    So I blew out the flame to the automatic fireplace and now the fire won't start back up. Is there a way to fix that and will it be OK for me to leave the house because I scared it might start a fire or something?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 10, 2015, 09:10 AM
    It will be OK.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 10, 2015, 09:16 AM
    Yes, it is BIG trouble if you blew out a gas flame, that means there is gas leaking into your house. If anyone lights a match... BOOM !
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 10, 2015, 10:24 AM
    Gas safety thermocouple should have closed the gas valve. You should shut it off with the control valve.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2015, 11:05 AM
    Agree, you likely blew out the pilot light as well as the main flame. You need to close the valve, wait 5 minutes, open the valve to pilot only and relight the pilot.

May 10, 2015, 11:08 AM
    Not so tickle, there is a thermocouple that closes the valve completely if there is no flame. Superstar, don't post the same question more than once.

May 10, 2015, 03:19 PM
    I meant I blew on it not it blew out. So it will be OK and it will come back on if I do that?

Well I turned it on last night and turned it off when I went to bed but there was still a flame so it was fine during the night. I got back up and I didn't want to leave the house with it the flame still going so I blew on it but the switch was off when the flame was going.

I just didn't know if automatic fireplaces still have a flame going while it's off.

May 10, 2015, 06:16 PM
    That little flame is your pilot light, it needs to burn 24/7 to keep the fireplace operational. I only shut mine off for the summer. This must be a new appliance for you so try to find the manual so you can safely operate it.

May 11, 2015, 07:02 AM
    Whoops all right thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Fireplace Pilot Light Circuit Issue/Question [ 0 Answers ]

I have a gas fireplace which the pilot won't stay lit. It lights but shuts down when I turn the valve to "on." The gas valve is a Robertshaw. The thermocouple puts out 0.5 volts. What I don't understand, the pilot light circuit includes a Robertshaw mercury switch in series with the...

Tv over fireplace [ 3 Answers ]

I plan to mount my 40" lcd tv over the fireplace. there will be 21" from the top of the fireplace to the bottom of the TV with a 7" deep mantle between. I have between 4-5 fires a year. Will the heat from the fireplace damage the TV?

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Gas Piping Question about gas fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm not sure whether to ask this question in the heating forum or here, but it seems to be more a piping question. I am installing a gas fireplace. I got it used, and pieced it together from two sources, meaning I'm needing to change a few things. The burner I got was configured...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search