Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Independent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Left US at end of F1, 150 days in country in '06-- do I file?
    Hi

Here's the situation: I am Indian, was on an F-1 visa... entered the states in August 2001, spent 120+ days in 2001, and then 200-300 days in 2002-2005 in US. I graduated May 2005, left the country for 2 months, and then returned on same F1- visa for OPT...
    In 2006, still on the OPT, I worked as an independent contractor for less than 183 days... in fact, I was only in the country for around 150 days... after, I finished my OPT around June, I left the country.

So, given that it was the 6th year, but that I was there for less than 183 days--
    1) I presume I'm still a non-resident alien?
    2) Do I even need to file a tax return? I'm looking at this document I fuond on the IRS website, which says:
    "A nonresident alien student temporarily present in the United States in F, J, M, or Q status who, at the time of his arrival in the United States, intended to remain in the United States for a period longer than 1 year, and who is employed in the United States (or self-employed even if illegally under the immigration law) has established his tax home in the United States beginning on the date his employment or self-employment begins if such employment or self-employment is expected to last for a period longer than 1 year. Such a nonresident alien student shall be taxable on his U.S.--sourced capital gains income in any calendar year in which his presence in the United States equals or exceeds 183 days. "

Clearly, my tax home shifted to the US, so I paid taxes on my OPT income in latter half of 2005... However, for 2006, since I was there for less than 183 days-- does the last sentence mean that I don't have to pay taxes??

Thanks for advice!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 09:40 AM
    1) Wrong presumption. ANY time in 2001 makes the entire year count. You are a resident alien for 2006.

2) Yes, you need to file a tax return for 2006. The return will be an expatriate dual-status return, but a tax return IS required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FiancŽ left and in two days has feelings for someone else? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I am new here. My heart is broken after my fiancé left a week ago. First let me say I am 47 and he is 31 though we had similar interests and we don't look far off in age. We had been living together for two years and got engaged four months ago. Though we travelled on vacations that were great,...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

How to file if married & living in a foreign country [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am an American citizen who has been living in South Africa for the last 7 years. I have just discovered that I need to submit an IRS tax return for the last year. I have also married a South African citizen last year. Neither of us has any income from the US. My question is how should...

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

My six month old kitten left 5 days ago... [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gorgeous 1 year old cat-Mayhem and a six month old kitten-Matilda. They are the best of friends. The both of them have a great home here and lots of love. Each day the cats beg to leave the house. They know how to open the screen and come and go as they please. The older cat has been doing...

View more questions Search