Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptaran1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2015, 06:54 AM
    Tree root breaking up our driveway
    We bought an older home built in the 60's. The driveway has been completely broken up in one section because of a tree root growing from our neighbors yard. She doesn't want to remove the tree, but I don't want to repave the driveway and have the roots do the same thing. Is there a way to get rid of the roots so they don't grow back?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 1, 2015, 09:56 AM
    If you do something that kills the tree, or hobbles it so that it falls over, you can be held financially liable for it, and that can be very expensive. A mature tree can have significant cash value. So you should hire a licensed arborist at your expense and ask them what can safely be done. Your neighbor is right in that they don't have to do anything. Its a healthy tree that is on their property and is their decision to make. Roots you have to live with. The same with leaves that fall off it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 1, 2015, 07:18 PM
    Branches may be cut to the property line. However, as Smoothy noted, cutting roots with subsequent tree damage may be a liability on your part if you damage the tree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tree Root Question [ 6 Answers ]

So a plumber has diagnosed my drain backup issue as tree roots in my sewer line approx. under the sidewalk about 60' from my house. He scoped and showed me the pictures and cleared with all kinds of tips attached to the snake. From here, I have some questions. 1) My pipe is made of a hard...

How far to plant maple tree from sidewalk/driveway [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. We are looking to plant a young maple tree in our yard. I am wondering how much space is recommended/ideal between the tree and the driveway/sidewalk? We'd like to prevent problems with the roots cracking the concrete in the future. Thank you.

Tree Root Question [ 4 Answers ]

A couple of months ago, I posted a plumbing problem where the basement drain was backing up. The plumber came out and said it was the kitchen line that was clogged and cleared it and that seemed to do the trick. This past week, it happened again after heavy rains with much more damage to my...

Tree root [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently removed a bradford pear tree, and now have a problem with new growth coming up in my lawn from the root of the removed tree. The tree was about 11 years old. How do I stop this root growth?

View more questions Search