Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2015, 09:07 PM
    What other genera of music are there?
    I love classical music and classically inspired music. I enjoy artists such as Mozart Tchaikovsky, Chopin, and Liszt. Also I live bands like Epica, Kamelot, TSO, and Manowar. I am quite eclectic in my choices of listening and don't particularly hate any one genera. However, what I enjoy about classical music is not often present in more popular genera . I enjoy that a classical piece will exhibit characteristics such as theme, melody, direction, and diversity. A sing can tell a story or lull an emotive response. I'm not a huge fan of dissonance in classical music, but it can add depth to a piece, recently I've discovered dissonant harmony, which differs from the norm, very invigorating.

What I would love some input on are other genera or local of music that share some of the same traits. I really want to hear music that plays on the soul, tells a tale, or alerts the senses in some fashion. I want to stay away from cord progressions and repeated melodies.

Thanks guys!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2015, 03:54 AM
    How about some jazz from the last half of the 20th century. I like Chicago Art Ensemble. Reminds me of classical. Sometimes they pause, soundless, for several beats. Both soothing and invigorating.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 1, 2015, 08:33 AM
    Piano Guys. Philip Glass. David Lanz. David Arkenstone. David Benoit. Nightnoise. Sample them on Youtube.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 1, 2015, 12:33 PM
    Within the genre you mentioned, check out Within Temptation, Xandria, and Nightwish. Their interpretations of Symphonic Metal are quite interesting. Some (not all, unfortunately) Bluegrass music offers the complexity you seem to be looking for, as does a good bit of Hindustani music. Joypuly's suggestion of Jazz has a great deal of merit; for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwofTjHYFw
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2015, 05:00 PM
    Joy, thank you. I have always had a love for jazz since my high school brass days. I have loved Maynard Ferguson and Dizzy Gillespie. I do know that some of jazz has some of these characteristics, yet I have never been drawn to any artist in this way. I will definitely check out Chicago Art.

Wondergirl, also thank you, I love piano pieces. I know of David Benoit, but will check out the rest. I am listening to Cristofori's Dream as I type, utmost beauty painted by Lanz.

Catsmine, also thank you. Nightwish was also a favorite of mine after discovering Epica and Kamelot. I've heard some Xandria, will look deeper. I've never tried Within Temptation, but will definitely check it out. Bluegrass was probably one of the most influential parts of my childhood. Its been years however since I've taken a serious look into the genera. I remember listening with my grandfather to songs such as the Squires Wife along with artists like Heather Berry, before she was a Mabe. Hindustani music can go in many directions. It's a very broad genera mimics many others yet still produces true originals and other greats.

Thanks to all of you, I will post back with new favorites when I have a chance to dig deeper into these.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Music video from ?mid 90s? Dance music, teddy bears picnic [ 0 Answers ]

It was a stop frame animation video, not great quality, scene was a park I think, with teddy bears and maybe other toys having a picnic which degenerated into drinking, taking drugs, having group sex and fighting, maybe stabbing etc. The sun in the sky was singing I think, maybe just a chorus bit....

What's that music video called that was on Music Choice on demand like 5 years ago? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember that the girl in the video had black hair and there was a glowing ball thing in her room. And she was drawing a comic and then when she started singing the comic came to life and the girl in the comic was in a space ship then landed on another planet and there were purple animals and...

I hear music in my house I just moved in evryday, old, fashioned scary music [ 1 Answers ]

I hear this music being played in my house, sometimes very faint and other times loud. It's the same tune and sounds like old fashioned scary music. Its played all the time not just at one time of the day. My walls are paper thin. Also had a dream some lady was sittn on my couch and I asked her...

How do I copy music from media player to MP3 at present copied music shows [ 2 Answers ]

Music copied to MP3 player plays on computer but not on MP3 which shows "no data"

View more questions Search