Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4thgenuscitizen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2015, 03:21 PM
    Work visa coworker versus promotion
    A coworker who came from foreign country (bob) who earned a masters degree, obtained a work visa, and has been employed for 5 years for same company that I have been employed with for 3 years is being considered for a manager position. I have a bachelors degree with 25 years of experience with tons of certifications. From many Dept's, many say I'm better suited for that position. The problem is the hiring director is leaning towards Bob because he has a masters. My question, I'm not sure what the Texas law says about at what work visa status can a foreign person be promoted before any us citizen is given the opportunity to interview?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 30, 2015, 03:34 PM
    There is no federal or state law that addresses this. I doubt that any company policy does either.

[I had a much longer response for about 2 minutes, but I had misread, thinking that you have 25 years with this company.]
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 30, 2015, 04:20 PM
    In Canada he would not be considered unless the company proved that a CDN citizen could not fill the job.

Has he not over stayed his visa ? That would disqualify him if so
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2015, 02:36 AM
    I may disagree with Canada, since he would already be in country, with work visa and not need any new papers.

But in US, he has actually a better chance, with a higher degree and already 5 years of experience.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2015, 03:40 AM
    Re Canada - fill the job, or be promoted when he's already working there?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2015, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenuscitizen View Post
    I'm not sure what the Texas law says about at what work visa status can a foreign person be promoted before any us citizen is given the opportunity to interview?
    Texas law (or the law in any state or federal law) says nothing about this. To do so would be unconstitutional and any such law would be struck down. It would be considered discrimination.

What I'm not clear on here is whether the hiring director has interviewed you or refused to interview because he prefers Bob. If you have been interviewed then you have been given the opportunity to plead your case. If you have been refused an interview, then talk to the hiring director's boss and ask why you weren't given that opportunity.

DO NOT, however, mention anything about Bob's visa status. That will make you sound like a bigot and work against you. You should deal only with the fact that a degree is not necessarily an indication of the quality of work. You should highlight your experience, certifications and job reviews, in other words your qualifications. NOTHING MORE!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 1, 2015, 06:24 AM
    This would all depend on company policy. I'm a nurse, where I work, education trumps experience. Many facilities will not promote unless there is a certain level of education.

You need to find out what your company's policy is on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work and a Promotion Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, new to this website, looking for some advice on an employment crisis I am in at the moment. I started off at a new job 2 years ago working in a team of 4 plus 1 supervisor. Over time I have been given additional responsibilities, taught new things etc. I am the sort of person who takes...

How can H4 visa holder work or change visa status to work? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife would like to work as part time since we have 3 kids but I'm not sure how she can do that since we were told specifically during our visa interview that H4 holders can't work. Is there anyway that she can change her status? If yes what visa or permit can she apply for? Thanks

A female coworker coworker and husband to friendly at his work [ 2 Answers ]

This female coworker sends him filthy jokes, flirts with him, he is saying things about our personal home time to her , she has called him and he her , she doesn't even come over to talk to him when I am around. I am sure there is something going on. What do you think?

My coworker wants me to take days off from college to work for her. [ 102 Answers ]

Here's a little back story: There are two of us that work as receptionists in a small office. I work 2 weekdays, as well as every other Sat. and she works 3 weekdays as well as every other Sat. I just started going to school full-time as well (decided to go back to college) on the days I don't...

Prison versus work [ 6 Answers ]

Subject: PRISON vs WORK IN PRISON.. you spend the majority of your time in an 8x10 cell. AT WORK... you spend the majority of your time in a 6x8 cubicle. IN PRISON... you get three meals a day. AT WORK... you only get a break for one meal and you pay for it. IN PRISON... you...

View more questions Search