Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1honeynut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2015, 07:16 AM
    401k early withdrawal
    I left a job and they sent me my contribution to my 401K but took 20%. I thought once I reached 65 this would not be an issue. Are they suppose to take the 20% if I am over 59 1/?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2015, 08:00 AM
    Unless you tell them to do otherwise, the custodian is REQUIRED to withhold 20%.

You will STILL owe income taxes on the distribution even if you are over the 59.5 age threshold.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 28, 2015, 08:00 AM
    Whenever you take a withdrawal from your 401(k) it's counted as taxable income to you and they will withhold 20% for income tax. You may be thinking about that this has to do with a penalty for early withdrawal - but it doesn't.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2015, 10:00 AM
    They didn't "take out" 20% they withheld 20%. There is a difference. The withholding is in anticipation of your owing taxes on the income. Just like withholding from your salary.

When you file your tax return for the year the distribution was made, you will enter the amount of income and the amount withheld. If the withheld amount is more than your tax liability, you will get a refund.

There is a 10% penalty for early withdrawals, that probably doesn't apply to you. That is paid when you file your return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

After penalty's and taxes how much money would I have left over from $60,000 from my early 401K retirement withdrawl?

401K early withdrawal [ 8 Answers ]

I am in debt and must get a new job to stay out of major problems to tap the 401k account. I have a healthy 401k at $112,000 and can't take a loan from it. Talked to the plan administrator alread. They only loan money I can take on my plan is what I put in individually which at this point is...

Early Withdrawal of 401K [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, In 2007, I withdrew money from a 401K plan and had the maximum amount of federal & state taxes withheld. I expect to pay an additional 10 percent penalty. In preparing our 2007 taxes, my wife and I had a $2100 refund. Upon entering the 401K income into TurboTax, it calculated an amount...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search