Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Planting Sunflower seeds
    My Daughter wants to grow Sunflowers.
    We have the planting seed mixture.

I understand the instructions to a certain point - everything except this part:

It says to plant seeds 6 inches apart. Then it says to thin seedlings to stand 12 to 18 inches apart when they are 3 inches high...

Why am I planting them 6 inches apart if they need to be 12 to 18 inches apart?
    How do you "thin" them?

Thanks for any info:D

Kae
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
    You need to plant them 6" apart then thin (pull) the ones in between. Understand that not every single seed may grow.

I plant mine 6 - 8 inches apart and then just pull every other one, if all of the seeds do indeed take, and they come up beautifully.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Thanks J :D

I'm new to planting... LOL can you tell;)

I understand perfectly now... Thanks again!

Kae

BTW: I LOVE the pic of your dog! What a cute smile!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Awwww, you recognized the smile too. Many think it is a scary snarl. LOL She is the sweetest dog and has NEVER even barked.

Well, I am not new to planting and would be doing some today if it were not so rainy, guess I'll have to wait until Friday.
    kellerangie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 04:07 AM
    Hi, I take horticulture in college and to help you out you may, depending on the season need to file down, or use sand paper on the seed to make it softer so the seed can absorb water and begin to germinate. Most hard seeds need this. This is called scarification. Then you may need to use stratifcation (that is when you plant little seedilings in buckets with soil, then wrap them in plastic and put them in the fridge for about 5-7wks, this makes them go dormant and makes them think it is winter, so that when they come out they are ready to grow. After the time in the fridge, take them out and plant them where ever u like and I guarantee you they will grow. Seeds will not germinate unless they have been through dormancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planting grass in clay soil [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Texas in an area that is primarily clay soil. Is bermuda the best grass to plant? If so, when should we begin planting?

Where can I buy herb seeds? [ 3 Answers ]

Obviously, the medicinal use herbs. I would like to grow my own and do some little experiments. The Chinese stores do not carry seeds.

Bad seeds of mankind. [ 12 Answers ]

Its time we get our act together and start executing children that committee crimes,no child or woman or man should be above the law a child who kills needs to be killed come on my fellow man its time to wake up and destroy the bad seeds of mankind.

Germinating grass seeds [ 1 Answers ]

What is the most effective way to germinate grass seeds? It is for my art project and I've seen it being done with cotton wool but were do I start?

View more questions Search