Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juls161 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2015, 06:18 PM
    If a lien was placed on a house and foreclosed on will I get it?
    I live in Salinas ,CA. My daughters Dad owes me about 19000.00 in back child support. Monterey County Child Support said they have had a lien on his house. I just found out the house has been foreclosed on. Will the lien get paid off?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 06:56 PM
    You are not likely to get anything unless the house sells for more then what it was foreclosed on. The banks usually only try to recoup what they have into it and not much else.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2015, 02:31 AM
    Not very likely, at a foreclosure the house is normally sold at auction, if there is a first or second lien on the house from previous loans, they will get paid first normally before the lien for judgements are done.

Also, how did they get a lien on the house without going to court and getting a judgement ? Why do they have the lien, not you?

But seldom does a house sell for enough money to cover the first loan, and selling costs. Often even the banks that sell the house, find there is no buyer, and the bank merely "buys it" for the amount of their loan, and no other lien gets any money.

So a foreclosure is about the worst thing that can happen for you, since then there is no lien, and you get no money.
    juls161 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2015, 03:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Not very likely, at a foreclosure the house is normally sold at auction, if there is a first or second lien on the house from previous loans, they will get paid first normally before the lien for judgements are done.

Also, how did they get a lien on the house without going to court and getting a judgement ? Why do they have the lien, not you?

But seldom does a house sell for enough money to cover the first loan, and selling costs. Often even the banks that sell the house, find there is no buyer, and the bank merely "buys it" for the amount of their loan, and no other lien gets any money.

So a foreclosure is about the worst thing that can happen for you, since then there is no lien, and you get no money.
    Hi and thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There was more then one court hearing about my child support matter. A judgement was determined . And paperwork was always given to me. Would there be different paperwork for a judgement in which a lien has been placed on something? I would always get the amount per month judgement papers , and the balance owed to me . I did find it odd that since this was in my behalf , why wasn't I notified personally about this. I simply asked the support officer " Can I place a lien on his house for the support owed? " I was told it was already done Maybe this isn't really the truth. I am not real happy with the service they have given to me, and if this is not the case ( Lien ) I will be highly upset .You have been very helpful . Thanks once again
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2015, 04:57 AM
    All property (real estate) documents such as liens are public knowledge, but you have to go to city hall in person. The right dept (deeds, property taxes, etc) will be glad to help you.
    How far away are you from his city hall?

The CA foreclosure situation is very different from other states, because properties continue to sell very well. Still, a foreclosure can take a very long time, and if he filed for bankruptcy, it can take many years.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2015, 05:02 AM
    Child support agencies have some power to help collect back support. As long as support is court ordered, they may or may not need a further judgment to place a lien. The fact that the lien was placed indicates its legality. But the big question, as noted, is how much is owed on the property. The child support lien will be paid after the lenders. So a foreclosure is not good news for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on Back Child Support - House Foreclosed [ 5 Answers ]

Several years ago, the State Attorney Generals office put a lien on my ex husbands house for back child support. I have since learned the house has been foreclosed on and has already been sold. There was very little owed on the house and more than $60,000 in equity in the house. Where do I fall...

Can my home be foreclosed on with IRS lien [ 1 Answers ]

If the banks foreclosure wipes out the IRS lien does it mean I no longer owe the IRS.

What happens to HOA Lien if home foreclosed on [ 1 Answers ]

I am the treasurer for a HOA. We filed a lien for nonpayment of assessments. The house was foreclosed on. I have been told that the HOA Lien is wiped out?

My Junior Lien Deed just got foreclosed on [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have any recourse that I can pursue to recover the monies loaned out to a friend of a friend and secured by a deed of trust on a property that just foreclosed.

View more questions Search