Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kalishpa123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2015, 07:14 PM
    Is it possible my baby is healthy?
    I'm 4'9 my husband is 5'7 I just had my 18 week ultrasound and my baby's femurs were only measuring 22.6 CM That was the only marker he had, is it possible he is just short and doesn't necessarily have DS? There were no other indicators that the doctor told me of
    (18 week 2 days the day of ultrasound)
    Cereb 1.90Cm
    BPD 3.81 Cm
    OFD 5.81 Cm
    HC 14.41 Cm
    NF 2.66 MM
    AC 12.81 CM
    Fl 1 - 2.29
    Fl 2 - 2.26 CM
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2015, 08:39 PM
    No way to even guess, You can not determine the hieight of a child at this point, even at birth. Growth will happen though out the child's first 18 or 19 years of life. With both you and husband being shorter, of course it is normal that the child may be shorter but the child could be over 6 foot also
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 26, 2015, 05:58 AM
    You don't say how OLD you are. You don't say if you had an AFP test. Your doctor hasn't indicated any concern. You need to either trust your doctor on all these questions, or ask more questions of the doctor, or find another one. You can't just go online with a few test results and expect answers taken out of context - you, your history, the whole situation.

And as said, you are both short.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 06:17 AM
    What did your doctor say when you asked those questions of him?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2015, 12:13 PM
    The measurement falls within the normal range. It is just one possible marker, and not a strong one at that, for down syndrome. Even if your doctor isn't concerned, which hopefully gives you some peace of mind, you can always discuss further evaluation since you are concerned.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 01:37 PM
    How did we get from the size of the baby to possible markers for downs syndrome ? Could be the age of the mother would be a good start, but as Doula stated, you can discuss more with your doctor. If doctor did not order AFP test, then he is not concerned.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Apr 27, 2015, 12:51 PM
    While femur length is an indicator of down syndrome, it sounds like your results were normal and not of concern. I promise you, if there was cause for alarm, your physician would have said something.

Never hesitate to call with follow up questions or write things down for the next appointment. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help me.. Healthy Baby? [ 1 Answers ]

Your question: "I was told today my babys yolk sac was abnormal and i had slight debris in my gestational sac . Baby measured 6.5 weeks but no heartbeat . Is there anyway that my next ultrasound will show different ? Does it sound like this could still be a healthy baby ?"

Is my baby healthy [ 8 Answers ]

I am 22 weeks pregnant and I haven't seen a doctor yet, but I can feel my baby move. Is this a sign of a healthy baby?

How do I help my body to get strong & healthy enough for a baby? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 12 more days of taking active BC, I've been taking Loestrin 24 for a couple years now, but I have decided to stop taking it after this month because Me and My Fiancé with our families loving support have decided that we are going to finally try to conceive. Unfortunately Since I have...

Healthy baby meals? [ 4 Answers ]

My son is very under weight for 15month year old, the things that I've tried are not working. Does any one know of a good breakfast, luch, and dinner for his age? Excluding Baby food products(gerber,baby cereal)

View more questions Search