Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roffbaxter Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2015, 05:55 AM
    Ground wire on main service panel
    How do you drive ground rods into ground on a 150 amp system with well water? I know there needs to be 2. How far apart are they and how are the wires run between them and to the house? A photo would help. How deep does the ground wire need to be?
    Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2015, 04:54 PM
    You hammer them in until the rod is just below ground. Minimum 6 ft. apart. You connect them with special ground clamps and copper ground wire which then goes back to your panel board ground bar. They can be driven on an angle if necessary.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2015, 06:19 PM
    You might get away with a hammer or sludge but most of us use a post driver and finish with a sledge. RED Fence Post Driver - Walmart.com
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 26, 2015, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You might get away with a hammer or sludge but most of us use a post driver and finish with a sledge. RED Fence Post Driver - Walmart.com
    Funny, I have never seen nor heard of anyone I know using one of these. Most guys who have to do this regularly use a rotary hammer with a ground rod attachment.
    roffbaxter Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2015, 06:08 AM
    Thanks for the help. I just want to be sure. There is an existing well pump. I don't have to do anything other than run the ground as I would without the pump? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would the ground wire from my main panel to grounding rod have juice on it [ 1 Answers ]

My ground wire for my cable is connected to ground wire coming from my breaker box when the tech tried to disconnect it it sparked and they would not reconnect. I checked ground wire with voltage and found some voltage present.

Ground/Neutral Bus in Main Service Panel - Is there a Difference? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm preparing to provide new wiring to a sizable addition to a log home. Prior to beginning the new work I mapped my existing circuits thinking it best to correct any potential overloads in the existing panel/circuit design before introducing any new problems on my own. Decided to make a few...

How do I ground wire for main service line to manufactured home [ 5 Answers ]

We are building a manufactured home one a permanent foundation. The main meter is on post by the road and is staying there. The connection is 3 pole, 4 wire 60 hertz, 200 amp to the home. I am trying to figure out if ground can run from two ground rods outside foundation to panel in house or...

I grounded the outdoor power service box, do I need to ground my main panel as well? [ 3 Answers ]

If I do, then what gauge of wire should I use for grounding my main panel? Is there any difference if I connect the ground to sewage pine or water pine? Thanks.

How does the ground wire enter a service panel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp service panel, (culter & hammer, BR type, 30 spaces) and need to make sure that the ground wire is connected properly. I have a ground wire connected to metal water pipes, and a ground rod. The wire is continuous and protected from damage by framing. How should the wire enter...

View more questions Search