Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btbaxter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2015, 04:50 AM
    State responsibility to maintain access
    I live in CT and the state abandoned he section of highway I need to access my driveway.

It needs repair and it needs to be plowed in the winter.

I can't do it.

I was told the state has responsibility.

Is that true? They are fighting me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2015, 05:30 AM
    Have the closed the road? Are they allowing the properly to go back to the owners where the easements were taken?

Who else uses the roads.

I would also assume there are 1000's of roads that are not taken care of very well, and that do not get snow cleared. While not your state, the roads to my home in America are never clearned of snow, and some of the pot holes could lose a small dog.

With that said, we could all say it is their duty, but that will not make them. You will have to, if they refuse, sue in court to make them do that duty. So at this point, you may as well find a local attorney.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 25, 2015, 05:39 AM
    How long is this stretch of road? You didn't even tell us who told you that it's the state's responsibility. I live in CT too. I didn't think there was any such thing as abandoned state roadways. The TOWN takes over, as far as I know. Maybe someone in town hall is passing the buck? Ask to see the official town maps. NOTHING is left 'abandoned.' I suppose you could say, OK, I hereby claim this land.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2015, 07:29 AM
    Roads are maintained on four levels: Federal, State, County and Town. The interstate highway system is maintain by the Feds, but usually under state oversight. State roads are maintained by the State, etc.

It is unlikely for a state road to be abandoned. However, a County or Town Road might be abandoned if a) it only services a few properties and b) it is not a through road to someplace else.

So your first order of business is to determine is this actually a state highway? And I doubt seriously if it is a real highway that it would be abandoned. Or is it a county or town road. I would start with the most local level and check with their Dept of Transportation or equivalent.

If the road has truly been abandoned, then it is likely that the easement has reverted to the properties that the road provides access to. In that case, you form an association that pays dues to maintain the road.

I am also curious who told you the state had responsibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop shows Strong Connection with Internet Access but no access [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have an ASUS K72F laptop running Windows 7, and it has always worked fine with both wired and wireless connections. I recently changed Internet provider from BT to Plusnet, though I cannot be sure that this is when the problem began. It still works fine when wired, but when I switch the...

Security access code required tob access the aPp store [ 1 Answers ]

Every thing on apps filled out right except security code on credit card. ISn! This the number on the back by signature line?

Is an evaporative (swamp) cooler the tenants responsibility to maintain? [ 7 Answers ]

The home I am renting is in need of new pads for the evaporative cooler. It has been over a year since these have been changed and are full of lime deposit and the unit will not cool properly. The landlord is telling me to replace them. I have a lease agreement and nowhere does it say I am...

Is it possible to maintain domicile separate from state residency? [ 7 Answers ]

I retired from the Marines (Active Duty) July 2010. I just started working for the military as a civilian in CA Sept 2010 and reside in CA. My home of record while in the Marines was Richmond, VA and my state of legal residency was Florida. I have both vehicles registered in FL and vote in FL. ...

Where can I find free access to Washington State Child abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

What are the Child abandonment laws for Washington State, how long a time and under what circumstances do they apply? The child in this case is 17 months old in the sole care of its father and has been since the child was 4 months old mother has not supported or cared or had the child since then. ...

View more questions Search