Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hararou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2005, 09:36 AM
    Using credit cards to get airline mileage
    I've wondered if it would be worthwhile to pay mortgage payments with a credit card to earn airline mileage. However, I just read an article that discussed using credit cards to pay your taxes and receive airline miles. The article noted that the IRS would not pay the credit card mechant fee (approximately 2.40 percent) and that the credit card holder would have to pay an equivalent "service" fee which might off-set all or most of the benefit in miles you received.

I would like to know if mortgage companies would also refuse the merchant fee. Thanks.
    mikestorm Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Dec 16, 2005, 05:02 PM
    I know this is an old post, but I work for a bank and feel the need to answer in case anyone else has this question.

Forget about the fee for a moment. The question is does your bank accept credit card payments? Call them up an ask. If yes, then pay via credit card. If no, the reason they don't accept cards is most likely that they don't want to pay the merchant bankcard fee. Having a merchant bankcard account (i.e. having the ability to accept credit card payments) obligates them to pay the fee. In other words if they accept credit cards, then they acknowledge and are okay with paying the fee.

I used to pay my college tuition via CC (I did it to rack up points - I pay my cc in full each month). Then my college decided to tack on a 2.75% processing fee on all payments made by credit cards to recoup the fee they lost to the credit card companies, so I was forced to pay via check. That being said, your mortgage company might do the same. If so, then decline to pay, as the out of pocket costs on your part outweigh benefits with more airline miles.

If they don't accept credit cards, do not pay your mortgage with the credit card convenience checks they tend to send out every now and again. These checks will also earn you miles AND have no fee obligation on the part of the recipient (read: no merchant bankcard fee), but only because you'd be paying double the fees you normally do. Convenience checks are treated like cash advances, so in addition to any finance charges you may accrue, you're on the hook for a cash advance fee (imposed immediately and typically a % of the total amount). Again, the costs far outweigh the airline miles gains.

Good luck!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 06:23 PM
    I have to say that mikestorm's comments are right on the money.
    mikestorm Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Dec 17, 2005, 02:40 PM
    Thank you CaptainForest!

One other thing which bears mentioning. Even if your mortgage institution does accept credit cards for mortgage payments, unless you pay your credit card outstanding balance in full every month, I still wouldn't go this route.

If you do, you're simply borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, and Peter's credit terms (higher interest rate and no tax deduction) are much worse than Paul's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit cards [ 18 Answers ]

My friend used her parents credit card after they had been deceased. When somebody called her house to speak with them a relative told the company they were desceased. Now the company is calling and wants a death certificate sent. What can she do to not get in trouble over this. Ignore the...

Credit cards [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! My brother is having problems with his wife. Right now they are living separately in two different places. At this moment she doesn't want to come to him. He has two kids. All the credit cards which he has, he is the primary member while she is the secondary member. I advised my brother to...

Credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me if there is a credit card that does not charge for transferring balances from another card

Credit cards [ 7 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to close credit cards? I have three credit cards and now, it is eating up half my salary and I struggle to pay the minimum balance too. I agree I should not have taken it in the first place, but now that I have, I am seeking advise to close it. Please advice

When To Stop Using Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to file bankruptcy - just decided to this month... but I last used one of my credit cards in the beginning of Feb... how long before you file should you stop using your credit cards? Please write back asap... for CHAPTER 7... Louisiana. STRUGGLE :( :( :(

View more questions Search