Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jh0125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2015, 09:35 PM
    Employee wants to work for a ministry and donate her pay
    Our ministry administrator is usually paid through the ministry... due to donations being low at this time, she wants to work and donate her time for a couple weeks...
    How do I handle this on the accounting books
    I want her to get credit for time worked as a donation to ministry
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2015, 12:25 AM
    There are some considerations in this.

If you record her time as wages then you will create a tax liability which you will need to offset by giving her a receipt for her donation so you could pay her as normal and pay the net amount to the ministry after accounting for her normal deductions.

You could simply acknowledge her contribution as a volunteer and not have a monetary component this is surely the employees intention. From a Christian perspective you are undoubtedly aware that God honours the things that are done in private so her gift really doesn't need to be honoured publicly unless she wants it that way (don't let your right hand know what your left is doing)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2015, 02:09 AM
    I would agree that you would in fact pay her and she would then donate the funds back. Issues of pay? Is she salary or hourly?

The issue I see with not paying her, and just allowing her to know, is if things later goes bad at work, and she gets angry, she could have course she worked and was never paid.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 20, 2015, 02:03 PM
    Just note it as time off without pay. If she wants to volunteer, or even just 'help out on time off' that's separate.
    The reason is if she is injured on the job, you need to suddenly (instantly) get her back on the payroll, and presumably WC and liability insurance. One minute retroactively.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is "the work of the ministry" Paul writes of in Ephesians Ch. 4 verse 12? [ 10 Answers ]

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Your thoughts please?

May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company? [ 3 Answers ]

We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have...

I make, sell, and donate proceeds to hospice should I pay sales tax? [ 7 Answers ]

I make bracelets, "sell" them to people all over the country, and donate the proceeds to Home and Hospice of RI. Should I be collecting and paying a sales tax?? I've donated approx. $2000 dollars.

How to pay an out of state employee we are a Georgia corp with a TN employee [ 1 Answers ]

We are a Georgia Corporation and have hired an employee in Tennessee to do online work, how do we get a corporate tax ID # for TN withholding

Multiple pay rate for one employee? Or employee and contractor? [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employee perform accounting clerk duties at one rate of pay for 15 hours per week and then perform payroll duties 1-2 days a month at a different rate? Alternatively, can this employee (who has a bona fide accounting business on the side) be an employee for the payroll clerk function and...

View more questions Search