Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2015, 12:37 PM
    Cracking drywall where a previous owner removed a load bearing wall
    My house was built in 1960. In 1979, a previous owner remodeled the kitchen, removing two walls to open the room up. The kitchen is at the front of the house, with the stairs to the basement behind it, and then the dining room is on the back of the house. The owner removed the walls on either side of the stairs, replacing them with half walls.

Where the dining room wall was, the drywall is cracking. On the other side of the small remaining bearing wall, there is another significant crack. These cracks are generally stable, but have grown years we've had heavy snowfall (18+ inches accumulation). The cracks have been previously been repaired but always return.

When he removed the walls, the previous owner added two 2"x10"x10' boards in the attic to provide extra support, although these boards only run from the removed area part way into the remaining bearing section. These boards are nailed with one or two nails into each of the studs that go between the attic floor and roof. I don't think he added adequate support. If nothing else, I think I should add some screws to his supports.

Any advice on what I should do to reinforce my attic to stop the cracking? Thanks!

Cracking ceiling
    Name:  cracking.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  441.0 KB

Removed walls - back wall was bearing, front was not
    Name:  removed walls.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  570.2 KB

Attic reinforcement
    Name:  attic reinforcement2.JPG
Views: 2214
Size:  767.0 KB
    Name:  attic reinforcement.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  727.2 KB
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2015, 02:55 PM
    That is a truss roof structure and as such is not load bearing per se. They installed upper style headers, sort of a strong back, to avoid the beam underneath. I don't see many nails in the joist to truss leg. That said, it was 36 years ago so a lot could have happened. I would make sure the ceiling was level and screw the joist to the truss. Is the support at the end of the wall, going back to the foundation?
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2015, 07:28 PM
    The ceiling is close to level, but is maybe 1/4" off level over the course of a 4' long level. It is higher where the support is. It actually appears that the kitchen wall (where it isn't cracked) is closer to the center line of the roof than the dining room wall (where it is cracked). The kitchen wall is directly above a steel beam and a steel column. The dining room wall is not directly supported below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know if a wall is load bearing! [ 1 Answers ]

This home is an early 80's Kingsberry kit home and I'm pretty sure that the trusses strech all the way across the width of the house.

How to support a load bearing wall, need engineer, cement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to remove about 6 feet from an interior wall. The rafters run parallel with the wall but the reason I think it's load-bearing is because one of the trusses rests on the middle of the wall with a lateral x across it. I have existing pictures and a drawing of "the existing" and what is...

Bowed Load Bearing Wall (Outside wall) [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all, There is about a 8' section of outside wall / paneling in the den that is bowed to the bottom 4' of the paneled wall. It appears to me the water got in under the soffit and wet down the fibrous insulator board under the vinyl siding. Over time, the insulating board got...

Installing half wall in load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

We are attempting to make our kitchen open concept with our living/dining room by creating either a half wall or putting in a window (what is the correct name for that?) The wall is load bearing. Do we need a permit for that type of reno? What would be a realistic budget to set aside for that...

Load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

Can explain to me about the concept of load bearing wall and the characteristic?

View more questions Search