Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirk2rio Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2015, 05:28 PM
    Time limit for abandonment in FL
    What is the time limit for a child to be claimed as abandoned in FL?

Apr 15, 2015, 05:31 PM
    How do I go about getting custudy of child left in my care for 4 years in FL
    How do I go about getting custudy of child left in my care for 4 years in FL?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 15, 2015, 05:45 PM
    You go to the nearest Family Court and fill out an application for a hearing. But first please tell us whose child it is, and how he ended up in your care! You don't want him taken away on the spot if you aren't even related and have no court order to be a guardian. You might consider an attorney first, or at least a call to one.
    current pert

Apr 15, 2015, 05:47 PM
    You have asked two sort of vague questions. Please keep them together, and use the Answer button to respond.
    You need to tell us the whole situation first.

Apr 15, 2015, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You have asked two sort of vague questions. Please keep them together, and use the Answer button to respond.
    You need to tell us the whole situation first.
    She was left in our care by my second cousin and we made the deal and papers were signed accordingly. If my cousin could supply a stable home and provide for the child's needs for an extended period we would bring her back to te mother. My cousin can still not provide for her child and the chiild has been in my care for the past 4 years
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 15, 2015, 07:12 PM
    The child was not abandoned, she was left in your very good care. She hasn't kept a stable home but what does that even mean? How does she support herself? Does she even see her child?

Unclear what you want from this since the details are so vague and sketchy. Maybe a lawyer that you can tell the entire story too can help sort this out for you. I don't even know if this document she signed is even legalor binding.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 15, 2015, 07:13 PM
    What "papers" were signed?

Apr 15, 2015, 07:19 PM
    Temporary custody wiit notary.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The child was not abandoned, she was left in your very good care. She hasn't kept a stable home but what does that even mean? How does she support herself? Does she even see her child?

Unclear what you want from this since the details are so vague and sketchy. Maybe a lawyer that you can tell the entire story too can help sort this out for you. I don't even know if this document she signed is even legalor binding.
    About every 3 months my cousin has a different boyfriend and in a different house. She has no job and is in court now about to loose custody of her son to me as well.
    Expert

Apr 15, 2015, 07:25 PM
    If there are already court proceedings regarding custody pending, what is your actual question? You go to that hearing and get custody.

Apr 15, 2015, 08:19 PM
    Hearing is for her little half brother not for her.
    Expert

Apr 15, 2015, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk2rio View Post
    She has no job and is in court now about to loose custody of her son to me as well.
    Here you say she is about to lose custody of her son to you. Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by kirk2rio View Post
    Hearing is for her little half brother not for her.
    Her brother or her son?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2015, 02:50 AM
    Again it is not abandoment as the term is normally used. It is thrown out and used in child custody hearings, but it is not an exact time from. It will depend on contact, and more. You will have to hire an attorney or go though CPS and get a court hearing.
    current pert

Apr 16, 2015, 03:56 AM
    (Pretty sure the hearing coming up is for the cousin's son, half brother of the girl.)

Getting custody follows state law and recommendations of CPS, and states vary. You may have to get your cousin in court to formally give up custody, whether temporary or permanent, part time or full time, and so on. (Not a notarized statement.) In any case, if you mainly need financial help, and it's OK to say that's a big concern, you also apply to the court for that. They have to make sure that the mother isn't already getting support, or wants the children just to get it.

Bottom line, it's rarely clear cut, and you aren't going to get exact answers online. Find out who your town social worker is, or if it's a city, ask Social Services.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2015, 05:34 AM
    When asking for help on a site like this, you really need to give some details. As I understand the situation based on the little bits you have posted four years ago, your cousin signed a temporary custody agreement in front of a notary giving you custody of her daughter. Now, you are in Family Court trying to get custody of her son who is half brother to the girl you have custody of. Does that sum it up accurately?

So to answer your questions: The child was not abandoned (as has been noted) so that doesn't come into play. You go to court for custody. It may be that you need to adopt the child.

But there are still a lot of questions here. You said a temporary custody order was signed in front of a notary. Was this agreement ratified by a court? Was this custody or guardianship? The court case now for the brother, how did that get initiated? And the real bottom line here is what is it you want? Do you want permanent custody of both children? Do you want to adopt them? What?

Custody and guardianship are different, though the line between them is very fuzzy. Usually a Temporary Guardianship agreement can be entered into without going to court, but a custody award has to be done by a court. Also custody is generally an issue between the parents of a child, if a third party wants the child, they may have to adopt.

Do you have an attorney? I would strongly suggest that you get one!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the time limit for abandonment of child in Alabama [ 3 Answers ]

My nephews mother has not been in contact with him in over 2 months. My mother has custody. My brother died of a heroin overdose. His wife, the child's mother was also using. She has not abided by anything the judge told her to do, not even contacted or seen my nephew. What amount of time...

Time limit on judgments [ 4 Answers ]

Do you know if there is a time limit for collection, if a judgement was file in small claims court.

Job Time Limit? [ 2 Answers ]

Is their a Time Limit on how long a job can run. I have 1 at 10 years and not C.O.ed, Another at 6 years, This one he hired labors to do Plumbing, Tile, Framing, he purchased laser levels for them and floor was over 2" high at one end. Then they had to rip up the 24" Marble Tiles and start over....

Time limit for turning time sheet in California? [ 1 Answers ]

Simply put - I worked for a company in February 2008. I got a different job in March 2008. When putting together my receipts at the end of the year I realized I had not turned in my time sheet for the work in February. I submitted the time sheet in January 2009. They have responded that they...

Time limit constitutes child abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

What time limit constitutes child abandonment in the state of wa? What is the procedure for filing child abandoment and where do I get the correct forms?

View more questions Search