Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Wow, this topic exploded, since my last post I've been hearing a lot about this on the news. It seems to come down to the fact that he directed the comments against individuals, there have been many examples stated of other radio hosts that use this kind of language directed at many different ethnicities but because he said this about a very small group of people that's where the outrage is coming from.

For instance, this language is used by rappers etc all the time but no one cares but because he insulted such a small team so directly a lot of people won't stand it.

Did anyone see AC360 about this last night?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manimuth
    Why is the "N" word ok in rap songs but horrendous in social use?
    Hello man:

I don't think the "N" word IS horrendous in black social circles. I think they call each other that ALL the time. THAT was my point.

You must be a white manimuth.

excon
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    I don't think the "N" word IS horrendous in black social circles. I think they call each other that ALL the time. THAT was my point.
    I think that is where some confusion comes from. You hear people saying things like that about their own race and it's precevied o.k.
    So, another group picks it up and holy crap, the bottom just fell out. So the lines get blurred on what is acceptable and what is not.

When that whole Michael Richards thing happened at the comedy club - there was a call for people - of all colors - to stop using the "N" word. I wish that would be picked up more. Just stop using known words that breed hate and anger.
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Apr 12, 2007, 09:39 AM
    You must be a white manimuth.
    Sir, I don't think that has anything to do with this.

Although I know that the "N" word is an often accepted part of black language, my point is that there is a disconnect between what is accepted in society and what art portrays. Because, rap music is a part of OUR entire society, not just black society. All races listen to the music and, in fact, most rap albums are bought by young whites. BUT, the use of the "N" word is NOT a reflection of the society that listens to it- only a part of society that is somehow "allowed" to use it. And so, there's the disconnect. (and the hypocrisy.)
    The excuse for the use of the words "b***hes" and "hoes" in rap music, that is heard by everyone in society, is that those words are regularly used against women in the black social environment? That is not only wrong but hypocritical, especially when there is outrage when a white man uses the same language. That was a point of the column and that is why I liked it.

The “N” word is not the only thing I talked about in my posts. What I wanted to point out is that it is not right to sum up art as: "a reflection of society". Because it isn't always that simple. Because if art ALWAYS reflected society, then society wouldn't be so surprised and outraged when one imitates art. There is more to this issue than just art as a reflection of society. There is hypocrisy, many underlying issues of racism in our country, profit and rating,. these are just some of the issues involved in everything we're talking about on this thread. I also said that the problem does NOT end with blaming “artists”

P.S. I am neither white nor a man. :)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Hello again, Ruby Dear:

My day?? I'm not that old.
    Ah, my dear, but you are. When you say such things as, "When I was a kid, they told me rock and roll was bad." Of course, you are only as old as you feel, but when you state something like this, well, all I can say is, when parents told children that, it was nigh on close to 60 years ago honey.

I have to agree with manimuth's and nowwhat's responses to you on the other statements made. Regarding the "N" word in black circles, you are right, but that is where the problem lies. It needs to stop. As long as black people keep putting each other down in that way, white people view it as tacit acceptance of such language. It is not acceptable to call ANYONE something with such a derogatory connotation connected to it.

Lowtax, I never saw the program last night. I am sorry I missed it. I like AC360. Maybe you could give us a recap of the program if you have the time.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Hello again, man:

BUT, the use of the "N" word is NOT a reflection of the society that listens to it- only a part of society that is somehow "allowed" to use it
    I beg to disagree, and I don’t know what you mean by “allowed”.

Because if art ALWAYS reflected society, then society wouldn't be so surprised and outraged when one imitates art.
    I disagree again. If society does something (which I maintain they do), then artists depict it (which I maintain they do), and society KEEPS on doing something , only people like you will say that they’re imitating art, when in fact, they’re doing what the art was based on.

P.S. I am neither white nor a man.
    Then you’re a humorless non white female.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 10:00 AM
    excon, manimuth is not humorless (and In my opinion is an asset to this web site). I would appreciate it if you are inclined to personal attacks that are completely baseless and are knee jerk reactions to someone disagreeing with you, that you limit yourself to attacking me, since I am the one who started this thread, and I welcome such irresponsible antics from you. En garde mon ami!

Apr 12, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Ok, excon. We seem to go around in circles. I am not disagreeing with you... only pointing out the hypocrisy in the relationship between art and society. It is not a very simple relationship and not everything about art can be excused as "reflection of society".

Anyway,
    I don't have the energy to go back and forth so will bow away now.

It's not fair to call me "a humorless non white female" because if you knew me, you would think I was very much full of humor :P

Have a nice day and see you around, excon :)

Apr 12, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Thanks for your support Ruby.
    You have a wonderful thread here; chock full of material that we should be talking about.
    :)
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Hello again:

Yer cool with me, man. You, Rubydooby, are another matter. Put 'em up.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
    I pee on your leg.
    ggmagoo Posts: 41, Reputation: 6

Apr 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Good Topic Ruby.

Let me first say that I do not care for Al Sharpton. When he appears at the time of any civil rights issue he makes it worse rahter then better as far as I'm concerned. Who the hell appointed him spoke person for African Americans. I wish people would stop assuming he speaks for the majority. HE DOES NOT!

As far as anus (aka Imus) is concerned, his comments were beyond RUDE and OFFENSIVE. His comments were both racist and sexist. My question is where the heck is the organization called N.O.W. do they not address sexist issues that deal with African American women. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Has anyone heard from them? Those women did not deserve to be called hoes or nappy headed anything for that matter. I am not aware of any parent that would be please with someone calling their daughter a ho on a national radio show, and not cause a stink about it.
    I heard the replay of his comments and he was clearly laughing. Yes he apologizes.. goody goody gum drops. I guess he is going to rehab as well. I hope they make sure to seat him aware from the dude from Gray's Anatomy (made rude homosexual comment). We have become a society where people do not have to pay for the consequences of their actions,yet they are rewarded with press time and money. Yes Glenn is correct in one part, that there is freedom of speech. BUT that freedom has its limits. Ex. You can not yell fire in a crowded movie if there is no fire. Please feel free to review previous US Supreme Court decisions on freedom of speech. Also, the radio stations personalities are not free to say what ever they want; they have limits to what they can say or even do. So I do not agree with Glenn Beck that he(Imus) has freedom of speech.
    Imus also goes on to say that people in the African American community and music artist uses those terms, so how can they scream foul. Give me a break. 1. African American civil rights leaders have been protesting the use of those terms in hip hop music for years. But it doesn't get air time because it’s not salacious/violent enough. 2. Not everybody in that community agrees or even approves of the use of those terms. You have to remember we live in a diverse country as well as community. These individuals that are so often called African America solely based on their skin color;are also South Americans, Africans, Caribbean and some Europeans. Are we suggesting that everyone approves.
    Imus should be fired just as everyone else before him who has made similar comments. My last point is that many people associate with people of different backgrounds on a daily or periodic basis, (work, social events, fund raiser, RANCHES) it doesn’t mean they like them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Gg, actually, NOW has been vocal about this. I read some articles about them calling for Imus to be fired. Unfortunately, Al Sharpton and others have drowned them out. I don't know if NOW really was as vocal as they should have been. I think this is attributable to the leaders of that organization, and their own personal agendas. It is a shame. They are a much more credible organization than Sharpton and his cronies are.

But, in the end, it seems that Imus is definitely paying the price for his "humor."

Apr 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    But, in the end, it seems that Imus is definitely paying the price for his "humor."
    Yes, but I'm afraid that Al Sharpton will chalk this one up as another "win" for himself, since the network was under a lot of pressure from the media hooplah created by Sharpton. I'd rather that the punishment came quick and swift and credited to all of us; not to Sharpton's big mouth, but as always, his big mouth did the job!
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Yes, manimuth, I agree with you on that.
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Apr 12, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Here is something I read today and found it rather amusing:

AOL's Jason Whitlock- Time for Jackson, Sharpton to Step Down - AOL Sports

Apr 12, 2007, 01:08 PM
    karent23 that website was good reading. I completely agree with the article. Quote:
    The Rutgers players are nothing more than pawns in a game being played by Jackson, Sharpton and Stringer. Unquote. African American should protest against the both of those self serving jerks.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Interesting article karen. Kind of repeats and adds onto Powell's article in Newsday. I think Whitlock has a good point. The problem is no one can stop these guys. They are and always have been, intent on promoting themselves. No amount of bad press or bad decisions on their part seems to shut them down.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
    I have just seen Al Sharpton just take a side because of race no matter the facts, So honestly just him taking a side normally makes me thing automatically that he is wrong. In my personal opinon he is the worst example of what the equal rights movement is suppose to be and would most certainly be a disgrace to the real heroes like ML King.

I believe some of his causes have done a lot of good but often it is in spite of him.

Apr 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Anytime individuals such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharton get involved in an issue dealing with race... people automatically assume it is not legit and that it's just another complaining.
    I agree that both Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are a disgrace to the civil rights movement. They should not even go down in history as being part of it. The only movement they have been a part of is the self interest movement. The Rutgers women basketball team has a legitimate grip and they should have confronted Imus. When Al Sharpton got involved it turned the issue into media circus. The issue lost legitimacy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don [ 1 Answers ]

I accidentally selected the hibernate option to close down my computer and now I can´t get back to the standard shut down option. I go to "start" and click "close down" and the screen blinks but does nothing. The small window with the various close down options doesn´t appear. How do I get thaty...

Don [ 3 Answers ]

Well water pressure issue, My water seems to have a lot of air in it (new) and after a short period spurts and sputters. My pump and well have been checked out OK. How would I know if this is a pressure tank issue?

Don [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this site. I am retired, but pass time doing handyman work. My question is My vent that travels straight up 16 feet between 2 toilets, has a very bad odor, I have flushed it with water, poured bleach down it, and it still emits an odor which comes in the house if the wind is in a...

View more questions Search