Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nev.Grant Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2005, 07:41 AM
    Solid Peer
    I am new to this site so I hope Iv'e clicked on to the right section, my problem every time I go on the net I am plagued by this pop up "Solid Peer" how do I stop it invading my computer? Thanks Nev Grant
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2005, 08:13 AM
    Check this out: http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t16857.html
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2005, 08:22 AM
    Solid peer
    Hi,
    Solid Peer is spyware/advertising ware; which gets into computers from the net.

Here are steps to get rid of it; along with some great free programs:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    SpyWare Blaster 3.2
    Great, free, program that STOPS spyware, trojans, home page hijacks, etc, BEFORE they get into your computer. Check it out at CNET at link:

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

If you will try the above, I am almost certain that it will solve the problem for you.
    Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with
    An answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes, and good luck,
    fredg
    Nev.Grant Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2005, 09:08 AM
    Solid Peer
    Thank,you Fredg for your response, I will try these suggestions
    Cheers
    Nev
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2005, 01:34 PM
    Thank you
    HI,
    You are quite welcome. If you need further help about this particular issue, please post back using the same thread. In that way, it keeps the issue and all responses together so others can read it.
    Thank you very much,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 1, 2005, 02:51 PM
    Solid Peer
    As most of us use Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3, I thought you might be interested in what is said about the program at Majorgeeks.com

Editor's Note: The Resident shield in version 1.3 has an issue allowing certain cookies (Specifically legitimate advertising cookies like Double Click, Tribal Fusion and others)when set to notify. If page loading becomes a problem, right click the tea timer icon in the Systray, select “Resident IE” and either uncheck “Use Resident in IE sessions” or check "Block all bad pages silently".

I'm not criticising the program,as I use it like everyone else,but just pointing out possible 'hiccups' :D

Cheers,
    Nez.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 06:09 AM
    SpyBot
    Hi, Nez,
    I use the Spybot 1.3; but do not use anything with it in regards to Immunization.

The Spyware Blaster program takes care of setting IE to all restricted sites with hundreds of them! With no problems involved.

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Just thought you might like that information.

Letting Spybot use it's built-in Immunization program can cause problems!

Best wishes,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 2, 2005, 07:19 AM
    Cheers Fred.I think Spybot is excellent,and when I saw that message at Majorgeeks,my heart sank a little.Thanx for the update.

All the best,
    Nez. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peer to Peer sharing [ 2 Answers ]

My Os is windows NT, I downloaded the bittorrent software and also bittorrent files but they refuse to play even though I Have downloaded the latest versions windows media and divX. My computer does not have the software to play dvds is this Required to play torrent files? If it is required...

Peer to peer sharing [ 3 Answers ]

Any suggestions for the best peer to peer sharing.. Much better if it is free.. Tnx..

Solid pvc connection [ 4 Answers ]

I think normally a 3" tee has about an inch and a quarter depth to join with the actual pipe, how much of that would be the minimum I can get away with and still have a good bond?

First Solid Food; Just for fun [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, Just for fun. According to the Montel Show, TV,: What is the first solid food most commonly given to children in the United States? I was surprised! Do you know?

Solid surface repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Avonite top with a chip, 1/4" wide by 1/6" deep. I have the old > sink cut out for repair material and bought a new tube of the original > epoxy. Ideally, I am tiring to find a 3/8" tapered bit with a MATCHING > 3/8" tapered plug cutter. Is there such a thing out there? Where can I...

View more questions Search