Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2015, 05:28 AM
    Cemetery Plot
    Cemeteries in foreign lands I presume have their own laws. But in the USA
    If person is buying a plot, making monthly payments and suddenly becomes deceased.
    Can the cemetery refuse to bury the person because there is still is an unpaid balance
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 06:06 AM
    It depends upon the terms of the contract to purchase the plot.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2015, 06:25 AM
    Thank you so much. This situation is in Honduras.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 06:40 AM
    It would still depend on the terms of the contract.
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 06:45 AM
    Generally (in the absence of specific contract language to the contrary), the cemetery would be within it's rights to insist that the account be paid off.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 07:08 AM
    There are many ways to "buy" the plot. One is that it is a loan, and the land is deeded to the buyer.

The other is more like a contract for deed, where the deed is not really given until all payments are made.

Another would be where the land is not actually purchased, but merely the right of burial is purchased on the land.

Even then, if purchased, the type of deed. I purchased some land in Scotland for my ashes to be scattered at. I have a actual deed for the property.
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... I have a actual deed for the property.
    It's questionable how "actual" a cemetery plot deed in Scotland is. I wonder if, assuming it's not used for 300 years, your descendants will be able to enforce it.

430 years ago, a man was buried in England. A few years ago, they found a body under a parking lot. :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2015, 07:46 AM
    Yes it is a bit of a dilemma the 87 year old women is on her last legs. The USA relatives
    Have collected $2,300 down payment on the total price of $4,300 and hope to pay off the rest of amount in six months. But if the women should die before the six months, what would they do with the body?
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    ... But if the women should die before the six months, what would they do with the body?
    Bury it a paper's grave, or cremate it, probably.

By the way, why did you ask about "in the USA", if the prospective deceased, and the cemetery plot (as I understand), is in Honduras? That was sort of a red herring.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2015, 08:20 AM
    I was comparing the policies between Honduras and the USA concerning the interred.
    The Honduras folks have told the church, that the Honduras cemetery will not bury the person unless the bill is paid in full. Kind of disturbing with souls
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    I was comparing the policies between Honduras and the USA concerning the interred.
    The Honduras folks have told the church, that the Honduras cemetery will not bury the person unless the bill is paid in full. Kind of disturbing with souls
    I don't believe the Honduran policy in this regard (as you have related it) differs from that of most locations in the US (It would be a state law matter, by the way). Unless the plot is paid for (or specific contractual provision provides otherwise), they will probably be legally entitled to refuse burial. If course they could cut some slack if they wanted to, but don't have to.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2015, 09:02 AM
    Thank you so much, your advice is appreciated
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Bury it a paper's grave.
    I think that is supposed to be pauper's grave.
    Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I think that is supposed to be pauper's grave.
    Yes. Darn keyboard can't read my mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About cemetery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Lakeisha and I want to no what todo I just found out my 3 family members are buried at a cemetery in comptom ca and it was a class act.filed against.them.in 2004-2009dont no really if its done. But they were digging up bodies there. If I can't find.my love ones here today what can I...

A plant for a cemetery plot [ 4 Answers ]

I want to plant a perennial on my husband's grave where grass has never grown. I am not a gardener and have no idea what would be suitable and what would last. Someone suggested that I plant lavender but I don't know if this is a good choice and I would lilke to know what would be a good choice. ...

How Do You Sell a Cemetery Plot? [ 1 Answers ]

We have two plots to sell and the cemetery will not buy them back. How can we sell these?

Cemetery plots [ 3 Answers ]

My family has cemetery plots in a city in Ohio where all my family is buried. No one has deed to plots and there are about 12 plots left the cemetery never asked for proof of ownership when we would burie some family member.know their saying we need a deed to open grave.no one knows where deed is...

View more questions Search