Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2015, 08:52 PM
    Last year mistakenly reported more income to NY State
    Last year, I made a mistake and mistakenly put my State refund in the line 'taxable interest'. Even though I had my calculations were done without it, NY State sent me a letter with the adjusted figures.

I responded back to the notice but heard nothing back. I lost on some $50 of my refund.

Also last year I filed an IT-203 (Non resident) but this year I am a resident.

This year do I file an amended return? Perhaps Protective Claim etc? I am a little confused here.. Help would be appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2015, 10:53 PM
    You have to amend the 2013 NY state return to correct the error.
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2015, 06:25 AM
    Then would I also have to amend my 2014 federal return as well then? Cause I itemized my federal for 2013 so the state tax refund is taxable.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2015, 08:42 AM
    Yes, unless the IRS catches the error and adds the state refund to your return for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AZ State Tax on Worldwide Income for Part-Year Residents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I arrived on 7/18/2011 to AZ , USA on employment Visa. This is my first visit to USA with no history of prior arrivals. Also I have not left USA since my arrival (no gaps in physical presence) Owing to my arrival date , I am a non resident alien for federal taxation as I don't satisfy...

Part year Oregon resident paying for income earned while lived in another state? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My husband and I moved to Oregon in June. Before we moved we lived and worked in Idaho and paid state taxes there. Upon filing our taxes this year, we discover that we are being charged hundreds of dollars by the State of Oregon for income we did not earn here nor even lived here when we...

Reporting other state income while working in multiple states in a year [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I stayed in New Jersey (NJ) for the whole of 2009. Initially, I worked for a company A in NJ (withheld NJ taxes) for the first 3 months of 2009. I then shifted to the NY office of company A and worked there in NY for 6 months (withheld NY taxes). I then shifted to company B and worked...

Does 1099-C "income" have to be reported on state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm probably being wildly optimistic here, but does the "income" from cancellation of debt reported to the IRS on the 1099-C have to be reported as income for state income taxes? I'm having trouble finding a clear answer. I live in NJ. Thanks, Jennifer

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

View more questions Search