Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat10436 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Is philosophy important?
    Hi, I love philosophy and have recently been reading a lot about it. It interests me greatly but my mum just doesn't get it. I tried talking to her about it but she said it is "blather for blather's sake." This is ignorant of her I know, but I'm not sure why. What can I say to strengthen my argument and make her understand why it is so important?

Thanks xxxx
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 11, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Why is it so important to you that she contemplate it as seriously as you do?
    What do you hope to gain from it?
    How would her life be better by doing so?
    JakeDD Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

May 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
    There's nothing unwise about keeping your thoughts simple. One day you'll probably see that your old Mom has a lot of wisdom that you didn't have the frame of reference to recognize at the time (believe me, she does)

This quote comes to mind.

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned."
    --Mark Twain
    outsidein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
    I believe philiosophy is a healthy subject. You question the things in life and where they came from but I personally think people are skeptical because its mainly words not actions. Philosophers think. I don't think your mum is ignorant. To be honest with you (and no offence) but how many philosophers nowadays do you hear about, your mum probably wants the best for you in life. Nevertheless philosophy is fascinating so you should keep reading about it
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
    To say that your Mom's attitude spells ignorance on her part does not spell intelligence on your part. Your Mom is coming from a different perspective. Did she ever have the chances you have in education? To be honest, philosoophy does not put a meal on the table, nor does it wash the clothes and iron the shirts and clean the house. But you can sit under the tree and discuss the merits of it all in grand style, while your Mom is there doing all the work.

Grow up!
    kat10436 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 06:03 AM
    What is the point of philosophy then?
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

May 21, 2007, 08:11 AM
    philosophy - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe these could give you more of an idea ? :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 01:30 PM
    In the Age of Enlightment men would debate for hours, literal hours, on even the smallest of topics. They were very learned men, granted, and some had profound thoughts. Such as Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Leibniz, etc. Philosophy leads us to discoveries of the wonders in the world and in human nature.

Philosophy is a valuable study, should be a mandatory study even in junior high, but it is not meant to replace what some called plain common sense.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    In the Age of Enlightment men would debate for hours, literal hours, on even the smallest of topics.
    While the women busted their hump getting the children fed, house clean, laundry done, chores finished... kind of like today!

;)
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kat10436
    Hi, I love philosophy and have recently been reading a lot about it. It interests me greatly but my mum just doesn't get it. I tried talking to her about it but she said it is "blather for blather's sake." This is ignorant of her i know, but I'm not sure why. What can i say to strengthen my argument and make her understand why it is so important?

Thanks xxxx
    One reason philosophy is important, you might explain to your mother, is that it entails the highest form of thought…critical thinking. Informal logic is a basis for learning how to tell the difference between a poor argument and a good one, and is the ground on which good philosophy rests.

Informal logic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Your Mum is right. And, feeding children and making chocolate cakes is much more important. But, if you like to blather for the sake of blather... blather on.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 07:07 AM
    I suppose if fat kids is your objective
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:11 AM
    We could blather on endlessly about moderation now couldn't we?
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    We could blather on endlessly about moderation now couldn't we?
    I couldn’t, some people however seem to be content in endless chatter about nothing in particular…on the other hand, all the better philosophers I have read pack a bundle into a small space.
    spacefire5458 Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Tell her how greatly philosophy has influenced world decisions and that it is at the heart of many great times in history and recently it was very big in world affairs communism, nazism etc..
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Mien Kampf comes to mind. Karl Marx is another.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Aug 21, 2007, 08:35 AM
    The study and practice of philosophy develops intellectual abilities and skills important for life as a whole; it increases analytical, critical and interpretive capacities applicable to any subject-matter, and in any human situation.

Philosophy and its practice develops the talents and skills for self-expression and thought, for exchange and debate of opinions and ideas, for life-long learning, and for finding resolutions for problems in every aspect of life.

So, in view of the above, philosophy IS important.
    Shiningbright Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Every action's ancestor was once a thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Philosophy Debate [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all, I am currently taking a philosophy course and we have been assigned a debate assignment that is in regards to the morality of stem cell research. My group was given the task of being opposed to stem cell research. If anyone can give me any idea why people may be opposed to stem cell...

Philosophy [ 10 Answers ]

Is philosophy a concept or a study?

My philosophy [ 9 Answers ]

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is Getting a little dull, but that's not the worst of it. My headlights are out of focus and it's...

Philosophy and psychology [ 5 Answers ]

How important are philosophy courses to the training of a psychologist?

View more questions Search