Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Indiaink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2015, 10:17 AM
    Real estate fees on sale of inherited property considered in figuring a loss
    I am receiving conflicting information on whether broker/realtor commission can be used to reduce any gain in the sale of an inherited home. Can anyone clarify?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 11, 2015, 01:27 PM
    You report your net proceeds from the sale, which means the sales price minus your costs incurred to make the sale. Typical costs may include real estate broker fees and title transfer fees. And although you didn't ask, you should know that your cost basis is most likely the fair market value of the home as of the date of death of the decedant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sale of inherited property at a loss [ 6 Answers ]

I sold my share of an undeveloped inheritance property in NY in 2011, left to me in 2008. Property appraised at time of death at 750K, my 1/6 share 125K. Property sold for 550K in 2011, my share 91,666. Have been out of work here in NJ for almost two years, so this was my only income. I have...

Loss on sale of inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

Im updating this question as I am currently dealing with a similar situation. My father passed away at the end of 2009 out of state. My uncle is the executor of the will and the home was deeded to me by the estate middle of 2011. My husband and I made repairs to the home and readied it for sale....

How do we report the sale of our inherited real estate from parents [ 3 Answers ]

5 of us inherited our parents home,no mortgage, the tax value was @119,000 at time of death in 2007. We sold the home in September 2011 for 90,000 and there were 6492.67 selling expenses which were deducted before money was distributed. The remaining $83507.53 was distributed, Each sibling...

Are realator fees considered when establishing the value of property for an estate? [ 3 Answers ]

I am the executor for my mother's estate. Four children will inherit the estate. The estate includes some land that will be deeded to one of the children. The other children will receive additional cash instead of partial ownership of the land. I have determined the market value of the land at...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

View more questions Search