Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelapapyan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2015, 06:58 AM
    Visa to the US
    I had applied for I-130 for my husband and it was approved in 2004. However, no actions were taken since then because I moved to his country. Now, 2015 he applied for Non-immigrant visa to see his children in the US and was denied. The officer said by the law Non-immigrant visa will be always denied because petition I-130 has been applied before. Is that correct that he has no right to get Non-immigrant visa that he has to immigrate? I have not found anything like that on the USCIS site. Please advise.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Apr 10, 2015, 09:49 AM
    It's not absolute. Someone with a petition filed for them can still visit the U.S. on a tourist visa. However, it's more difficult. Someone entering the U.S. on a tourist visa has to show they have no immigrant intent, i.e. that they have no preconceived intention of staying there during that trip, usually by showing ties to the home country. Lots of people get denied for this reason even when they have no relatives in the U.S. let alone someone who is the spouse of a citizen.

The fact that a petition was filed for him makes it much harder to show that he has no immigrant intent. You could withdraw the petition; that may or may not help. But again the fact that you are a citizen, means that as soon as he comes to the U.S. you guys can at any time change your mind and file a petition and concurrently file for Adjustment of Status. Perhaps if will help if he can also show that you have ties to his home country that you don't plan to abandon.

If he still can't get a tourist visa, basically the only other way to get to the U.S. is to apply for an immigrant visa, even though he doesn't want to immigrate. The process costs a lot of money and takes a long time, maybe around a year, and even after he gets permanent residency, he will lose it again if he doesn't maintain residence in the U.S. which will make the whole process a big waste.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file tax for newly married H1B visa holder and wife on H4 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working in US for the past 3 years and I got married on OCT 19 in India. My wife came here on March in H4 Visa. Please help me in filing tax for H1 visa jointly with my wife.

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

Spouse f2 visa travel to usa while husband change of status from f1 to H1B visa? [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1 Visa and my wife holds valid F2 dependent visa. But now my status changed from F1 to H1B. My question is, Can my wife who is currently in India travel on her valid F2 dependent visa or she is required to get the H4 visa to travel back to USA.

Company filed H1B visa for me and planning to fly,what about dependent VISA process [ 1 Answers ]

Company filed H1B visa for me. After that I got married and now planning to send to U.S.. What about the process of dependent visa can any one explain this is 1st time I am to U.S. 1) What are the precautions I need to take? 2) For dependent how much percentage they will deduct as tax?

Change from B2 visa to F1 visa then to J1 or H1 visa for residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guide me I m n US on B1/ B2 visa for USMLE xm.instaed of going back to india & coming again for hospital interview( more costly )... should I change visa status B2 to F1 ? Afterwords for MD medicine I hv to take J1 or H1 visa.. so how this B2 to F1 change will affect J1 or H1...

View more questions Search