Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sassy723 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2015, 05:51 AM
    Do I go see the dr now
    Periods have been late for the past 6months. About 4-10 days each month. I have taken a hpt but all negative. What can It be? My periods were always regular and on time.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2015, 06:09 AM
    Always is a very broad term. Overly broad when referencing a woman's cycle since they usually start in her teens and might sontinue as long as her late 40's to early 50's in most cases. And they are never absolutely stable between her first and her last. Usually is a better term to use. Sounds like you are fairly young as you seem to be jumping at taking HPTs way too early and often. Those typically aren't reliable until after 14 days late. And even then absolutely MUST be taken correctly at the correct point in the morning. Also there are a large number of factors that can cause a period to be late... besides the "it just happens for no reason from time to time". If it will put your mind at ease... ask your Gynecologist your next visit. You should have those once a year.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 10, 2015, 06:10 AM
    Maybe you cycles have been changing, but you should see the doctor for a checkup every 6 months as a matter of routine.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 10, 2015, 08:44 AM
    A common path for women is start pretty heavy, regular, and closer together at puberty, get further apart and lighter very gradually until you reach menopause.
    BUT no two women are alike, and the medical establishment isn't going to keep stats on every single woman.
    General health, diet, giving birth, having tubes tied, and birth control have an effect, as do many other medications.

So tell us - why do you frantically take hpt's each month? Are you trying to get pregnant, or playing Russian Roulette?

(Routine check ups every 6 months? Where in the world are there doctors who will agree to that, unless you have a condition that needs monitoring? Wasteful use of an overburdened medical system.)
    Expert

Apr 10, 2015, 09:32 AM
    (Routine check ups every 6 months? Where in the world are there doctors who will agree to that, unless you have a condition that needs monitoring? Wasteful use of an overburdened medical system.)
    Recommended by our doctor AND insurance carrier for preventive health maintenance. Yes we both have conditions that have to be monitored discovered during a routine checkup.

You never know without a check up.
    current pert

Apr 10, 2015, 10:51 AM
    Aha, you both have conditions that need monitoring.... that's the key phrase. It doesn't apply to those who don't. They only get a routine checkup once a year.
    Expert

Apr 10, 2015, 01:04 PM
    Having issues and concerns for 6 months warrants a doctor visit in my book. Then the doctor can say when to come back.
    current pert

Apr 10, 2015, 01:48 PM
    It sounds like we are quibbling over the word 'checkup.' To me it means you are just being checked over, no special reason for being examined.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2015, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy723 View Post
    Periods have been late for the past 6months. About 4-10 days each month. I have taken a hpt but all negative. What can It be? My periods were always regular and on time.
    Have they been fairly consistently 4-10 days off your normal schedule from six months ago? For example, it used to be around the first of each month and the last several months it has come around the sixth or so? If so, it could be just a shift and now you have a new normal.

If you are having a period each month, it usually is not a concern even if it is several days different. Certainly you can ask your gynecologist about it since you are concerned.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2015, 06:44 PM
    If you use the new date of period, are they on time with each last period, or, is each period, getting later and later. 40 days instead of 30 days.

Also if you have a period, you are not pregnant, late periods can be many things,
    My wife's cycle 90 percent of the time is always the same, but some months she is one or two week late. Once she even skipped a month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search