Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trudy123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Merchant ablity to withhold % when mercandise is returned
    Recently I purchased exercise equipment from a nationwide exercise equipment store.
    I returned it within 30 days. All of the piece were never delivered to the house. Merchant wants to keep 20% plus the tax. I total of 660. Dollars. I financed this through a credit card company?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Not legal if you never received the complete package. If the store won't back do deny the charge via your change company. Review all of your paperwork and ordering forms to see what you may have agreed to but didn't notice the first time around.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2007, 07:25 AM
    If you are returning this because you never received the full package, then its not legal and you should file a protest with your CC.

However, it IS legal to have a restocking fee on certain returned merchandise. But that has to be clearly noted at time of purchase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine received a returned check from one of her customers back in Dec. 2005 and has tried to collect the money back from them. It has been over a year and she still hasn't gotten any money from them. The amount was like $85, I think. Can she still try to get the money or is it too late?...

Deposit Not Being Returned [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We recently started the paperwork for a new house in Sacramento, CA being built by SHEA homes. After the papers were signed, we paid a deposit of $10,000 to the builder. Due to an unforeseen event we had to back out of the deal. The builder is refusing to pay the initial deposit back to...

Merchant card readers [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a charge for the use of a merchant card reader if no finances are exchanged? I want to scan a card with magnetic strip on the back and scan it on the machine. I would like the card to be programed to connect to my server, exchange information and interact with my POS. Is this possible...

Choosing the Right Merchant Account [ 3 Answers ]

I'm opening up a small business and I want to know how to compare Merchant Accounts/Credit Card Processing companies. I want the best service, with the most reasonable rates, and a processor that is trustworthy and experienced. Please provide me with a comparison chart and any other pertinent...

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State what is the legal procedure to collect on a bad check? I was told you need to send a registered letter to give time to pay on check, and what if the person who gave the check never receives any notice ? What rights do they have?

View more questions Search