Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdwagnon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2015, 09:02 PM
    I ran over a sewer drain cap and it fell into the line. It is now clogged, any ideas?
    We have tried a snake, a high pressured water balloon. Any help would be appreciated.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 8, 2015, 11:56 AM
    How did that happen ? Clean out cap should not fit into the pipe as it should be the same diameter as the pipe ? What type of pipe was it ? Metal, plastic ? Did it break in pieces ?

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 8, 2015, 11:59 AM
    Do you know how far away the cap has gone down the drain? How deep is the pipe? Let me know more, OK?

You can try a snake with a retriever head almost the size of the drain line... hopefully that can PUSH the cap out to the main drain in the street. The retriever head could also pass by the cap and in that case, you may be able to PULL the cap back just using hand power (don't use power in this case... just pull the snake back).

Once you can see the cap you can try pulling up on it... may need to cut it, may need to cut the drain... all depends!

Finally, you may need to get the drain line video taped using a camera snake... will tell you exact distance in case none of the options above work and you need to gain access to the drain pipe itself.

I would recommend contacting your local sewer department. Here, in some places, they will help you with this problem free of charge (if they can do it at the convenience).

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Line Clogged [ 1 Answers ]

Found a substance in the end of my sewer line at the septic tank. It had completely clogged the line up for 3 feet and looked like compacted powder when I got it out. It was off white. What could this be? Thanks

Clogged up sewer line?? [ 6 Answers ]

Yes we moved into our home a little over a year ago and we have been having trouble with a back up coming out of one of our clean ups... We stopped flushing toilet paper and that seemed to help but now we are having the same issue. When I went out to the clean up to check it out there was a bunch...

Sewer Line clogged? [ 5 Answers ]

When I turn on the water TO my house, ( like the big valve in the basement) water comes shooting out the DRAINS. Why? I'm not flushing toilets or running sinks or anything.

Sewer line keeps getting clogged [ 4 Answers ]

This spring, my wife and I bought an older home (built around 1940) that had a half-built, half-bath. Basically, the water supply lines had been plumbed to this bathroom, but the waste/drain/vent plumbing had not been done. I was able to successfully install the waste/drain plumbing for this...

Cap fell in sewer trap [ 3 Answers ]

my sewer trap has two vertical pipes with two caps,one a little smaller than the other. I recently unclogged the drain by opening both caps. The smaller cap apparently fell into the larger pipe(hole)It is now causing a minor blockage which I have to clear everyday with a piece of wire. I can't see...

View more questions Search