Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolsys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2015, 01:26 PM
    Adding spouse to property deed
    What form is indicated to add my spouse to a property deed in new York city?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 7, 2015, 01:49 PM
    Actually, what you want to do is to add your spouse to the title, by executing a deed.

For the form of the deed, you would be best advised to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction. There may be unintended consequences if you happen to do something incorrectly.

What is the purpose you intend? For example, in many jurisdictions, a joint tenancy with right of survivorship, which can be created by a deed, will result in the property going to whichever one of you survives the other, without the necessity of probate.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 7, 2015, 04:30 PM
    Once you do this, you can't change your mind... countless people wish they had listened to warnings.
    There are very few reasons to put a spouse on a deed of a house owned outright, or mostly paid for.
    Would you be willing to tell us yours?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2015, 06:14 PM
    Registration of property deeds is done on a county level. So which borough do you live in? Each borough is a county.

As AK said you need to execute a new deed that conveys your ownership of the property to you and your wife as joint tenants. There are different types of joint tenancy. So you would be better to consult a real estate attorney about the best way to transfer ownership.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding spouse to title deed of home [ 0 Answers ]

Couple of years ago my husband and I bought a home, we were married at the time of purchase. We were advised to do the loan only in his name, because I had recently retired. At closing the loan and the deed was in his name only, should the deed be in both names? If so, how do we change it?

Adding spouse to deed [ 1 Answers ]

Is it expensive to add spouse's name to house deed ? How do you do it? What rights does that now give the spouse? Can the name be taken away once added by other spouse?

Adding spouse to deed [ 3 Answers ]

How do I add my spouse to my house deed?

Adding a spouse to a house deed [ 1 Answers ]

How would my husband g oabout adding my name to his house deed. He bought the house 10 yrs ago, we got married 3 yrs ago.

Adding spouse name to house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a house that he is renting to tenants but he is still making mortgage payments and want to add my name to it what steps do I take to do take? Thank you, Mistyrita

View more questions Search