Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynn Kain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2015, 02:49 PM
    Should Have Seeker Legal Advice
    When my ex and I divorced 6 yrs ago, I signed papers , thinking it was ending me of any financial responsibility of the home that we had purchased together. What I later learned was the paper that I signed was removing my name from the deed, but my name is still on the mortgage. What legal rights if any do I have?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2015, 06:12 PM
    Where was your lawyer while you were signing these papers? That even if the papers stated that you were no longer responsible for the mortgage, that agreement is NOT binding on the mortgage holder. So the papers are meaningless. Without knowing what those papers said, you may have no legal recourse. Unless there was wording in agreements that your ex would be solely responsible for paying the mortgage, you can't even sue him for payments. He should have tried refinancing as soon as you were off the deed. That is the only thing that would have removed you from the mortgage.

Ideally you should not have signed over your share of the house until he did refinance. Sorry for the bad news.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal advice [ 3 Answers ]

I have two pending theft charges and I asked my lawyer for a motion of discovery but he will not get it for me. Why?

Need legal advice [ 1 Answers ]

OK, my wife was working for a nursing home in Texas. First of all they fired her for being pregnant(she is 3.5 months along) and then they "lost" 2 weeks of her pay records. They doctered her pay stubs to show that her orientation started on the 23rd when it also happened about the 10th. Does...

Legal advice [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I would be pleased to help you with legal advice. *** post edited and links removed. Tiz

Legal advice need please [ 2 Answers ]

My brother had a fortis fund check sent to him it was mine in my name only he took it to his bank sign my name and the teller ask if he wanted the taxes taken out he said no well it was some time before even being aware of 46,000 intil I owed 8,000 in taxs the banks says its past the time on a 3rd...

Legal advice PLEASE [ 2 Answers ]

Just really got to get off extended probation I paid good faith money every month for a year and I want to know what to do to get off extended probation

View more questions Search