Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STongren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 04:15 AM
    Chemical Odor permeates upstairs
    We recently had our carpets cleaned due to a spraying problem with our cat. Afterwards the carpets looked much better and smelled better too. But as the weather turned nicer we turned off the heat and after one night in the guest room (the room the cat really went in) with a closed door, the room reeked. We have bought loads of plug in air fresheners but nothing really works. But.. the odor has turned to a chemical smell and now permeates the entire upstairs. It got better when the air conditioner was on. But this week we have had to turn the heat on and the chemical smell is unbearable. It smells like the exterminator just came to the house (which he didn't).
    Any help on what this smell might be and where it is coming from would be much appreciated. We are thinking about taking the carpet up in the guest room but now I think the smell might be associated with the heat somehow.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 07:33 AM
    I would do several things other than addressing the cat. Try to seal off this room and open the windows to help vent. Close heat supply and return air with plastic bags and tape. I have had great success with a product called Nature's Miracle. Really bad problems did require repeat applications and it could take several days to go away.
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Apr 10, 2007, 03:23 PM
    The urine may of soaked into the subfloor, or, I have even seen it soaked into the drywall and base trim. You may need to pull the carpet up to see if those areas can be cleaned, or replaced. Cat pee is very persistent. Good Luck!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 04:55 PM
    A cat took a pee in the bucket seat of my car. Very thick foam, it took 7 applications of Nature's Miracle but it finally got it. It will reach down to soaked floors too but no so much with drywall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical reactions! [ 2 Answers ]

what is the anwer to this problem I've tried all week to get it but I cant... \ P+HNO3+H2O = NO+H3PO4 :confused:

Chemical-physical changes [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference of a physical and a chemical change?

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search