Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomandemma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2015, 11:05 AM
    Liens and divorce
    My wife and I are both on title on our house but legal aid has put a lien on for her legal for divorce she agrees to be removed from title but can this take place with lien
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 30, 2015, 02:01 PM
    If they have a lien on property which is owned by you and your wife, no, it cannot be removed without their consent.

Do I correctly I assume this is a divorce from her previous husband, and she gave legal aid a lien? Either that, or they sued her, got a judgment, and such judgment is the lien?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2015, 03:24 PM
    Once the lien is filed, the property cannot be transferred unless the lien is satisfied or released.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2015, 05:07 PM
    Is there another mortgage also? If both names are on it, the house will need to be refinanced, if not, she could still be liable for that debt.

But no, until that lien is satisfied, the property can not be transferred
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2015, 06:25 AM
    First, you can only get rid of the lien by paying the debt. Second, the only way to remove one of you from the mortgage is for the person who is keeping the property to refinance. To do this she will have to satisfy the lien. You might do best to petition the court to order her to sell the home to get you off the mortgage. Being removed from the title will not remove you from the mortgage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2015, 06:32 AM
    Dontknow,
    Sorry but that's not quite accurate. A lien can be removed if it is not valid or the judgment is vacated, not just by paying it. Second, what does a mortgage have to do with the question here? The OP said a lien was placed on property jointly owned. Whether there is a mortgage on that property only means the mortgagor might have a primary claim over the lienholder. The OP was asking if the lien could be removed by removing the spouse form the title. The answer to that is not while the lien is in effect. He isn't asking about removing himself from a mortgage.
    Expert

Mar 31, 2015, 10:29 AM
    It would be interesting to know whether the house was OP's or his wife's prior to their marriage.

If it was his, he made a bad mistake in conveying it to his wife and himself jointly.

On the other hand, if it was hers, presumably he took his interest subject to the lien, and thus shouldn't have been surprised when he realized that the lien applies.

The other thing that strikes me is odd is the fact that "legal aid" (presumably a non-profit law firm established to help people who couldn't otherwise afford legal assistance) took a lien for what is normally (in effect) pro bono representation. I wonder how common this is, and whether this is allowed by their charter. It is arguably prohibited by attorneys' codes of ethics, which in most states prohibit an attorney from entering into a contingent fee agreement in a divorce case. It looks like a contingency to me: if she didn't end up with an interest in the property, the legal aid firm would have received nothing.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2015, 04:31 PM
    Thanks for the corrections. I was assuming the lien to be valid. In such a case, to get rid of it they would need to pay the associated debt. If the debt is the wife's, selling the property would make sense if she cannot pay the debt. As I understand it, if the lien would be paid from the proceeds if such proceeds are adequate. I brought up the mortgage because there is little benefit to most people remaining on a mortgage for a property while being removed from the title for that property.
    Expert

Apr 1, 2015, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    ... I brought up the mortgage because there is little benefit to most people remaining on a mortgage for a property while being removed from the title for that property.
    Of course, the mortgagee (usually a bank) would have no reason to approve releasing such a person from the mortgage note. And removing such a person from the title may well trigger a due-on-sale clause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanics liens and liens against property [ 3 Answers ]

I lent my son in law $10,000 to put down payment on a home about a year and a half ago My question is how do I put a lien on the house and which state do I do it in . I'm in Calif. And the house is isn't Arizona. And do I just record it with the county or court or what?

Liens [ 2 Answers ]

If a buy out agreement on a business is only partially paid and the person refuses to pay the remainder can you put a lien on their home?

Liens on divorce property [ 2 Answers ]

I have a real estate lien on a property in Oregon, from a divorce. If my ex-husband dies does the lien still stand? Also, how do I figure the interest rate on the $10,000 lien at 9% annum for 5 years? Thank you Debbie

Liens [ 7 Answers ]

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house?

Liens [ 1 Answers ]

From an Ontario Canada perspective, can a collection agency put a lien on a house when trying to collect on a student loan that is over 10 years old?

View more questions Search