Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tborello Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2015, 09:59 PM
    I'm a leaseholder renting to 2 tenants with Landlord OK... my subleases are verbal...
    I collect first and last month... one tenant texted me in wants to leave at the end of the month and has asked me to apply his last month despite... I'm ok with this but what if he doesn't leave attend of month?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2015, 01:32 AM
    Then you are stuck, did he pay deposit plus last month rent?
    IF he does not leave, he will owe you the months rent, and if he does not pay, you will have to sue him in court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2015, 04:16 AM
    First any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. We need some more detail here. Is the tenancy month to month? How much notice did he give you? When is rent due? Did he pay a deposit as well?

I would tell him no. I would tell him that paying first and last protects you and you will refund the last after he vacates and you check the premises. Tell him if he doesn't pay the rent on time, you will serve him with a pay or quit notice.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 29, 2015, 04:20 AM
    You can't tell him no. You collected first and last rather than first and SECURITY. Last month's rent is exactly what it sounds like - he gets to not pay the last month.
    All you can do is hope for the best.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 29, 2015, 06:29 AM
    ...one tenant ... has asked me to apply his last month despite...
    Despite what?

It appears to me that, as joypulv wrote, the agreement as to the pre-paid rent suggests that the last month is already paid; so you can't treat it as a deposit. But be sure to give him a written notice to quit (or a writing from him agreeing to be out at the termination date).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting out condo owned by Tenants in common [ 2 Answers ]

I own 25% share of a Hawaii condo with my parents' living trust which owns 75%. I live in the condo, and currently pay AOAO & maintenance expenses along those ratios. My parents have agreed to let me rent it out and receive 100% of the rent. Would we have to declare 75% of the rent received as a...

Can a verbal lease be binding in ca for renting a property [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in contact with an owner about renting their condo. A couple days before we moved in they sent us the lease. We have allergies that we did not inform the landlord about because we have been extremely busy. My husband just wanted the air ducts cleaned. Now the landlord is saying he is...

Tenants Responsibility after renting for 3.5 years [ 4 Answers ]

I lived in an apartment in Raleigh, NC for 3.5 years paying around $33,000 in rent. I recently moved and they replaced the carpet due to some pet stains. When I moved in, I paid a $300.00 deposit for a pet and also $150.00 non-refundable deposit. Am I required to pay for the damaged carpet? I feel...

Landlord allowing one tenant to break a verbal agreement but not other tenants [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a landlord to have a verbal agreement with all tenants in a two family house and break the contract for some of the tenants and not others? In the two family house that I live in (where I have no written lease, only a verbal agreement that we will pay the rent on the first of each...

Landlord giving keys to new tenants while we were still renting, etc. [ 1 Answers ]

We gave 30 days notice to our landlord (as per lease agreement) on May 1st. We had moved mostly everything out by May 14th, except for our phone and computer and a few odds and ends. We didn't have phone/computer service hooked up at the new place yet. On May 14th, I came to the house to check...

View more questions Search