Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cost3452 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2015, 09:57 AM
    Add son to property deeds in Michigan
    Im on a JTWROS deed with my father.
    Father has been found has been found incompetent and placed in a nursing home.
    Can I add my son to the JTWROS deed ,without any repercussions ?
    My father is not on Medicaid as of yet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2015, 10:07 AM
    If he has been declared incompetent, then a guardian has been assigned for him. Whoever that is would have to sign off on any change in the deed.

You aren't being clear whether you want to remove the father replacing your son, or just add your son. Also, if you are trying to do this to avoid Medicaid going after the property, they will look back 5 years (I think) for changes in ownership to avoid Medicaid issues.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2015, 05:48 PM
    I will agree, also the issue of who and how the nursing home is being paid for. If you are trying to protect the property from attachment by the nursing home, They do look back at any "sale" of property that could be determined to hide assets.

I would not do this without a real estate attorney to guide you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 29, 2015, 06:49 AM
    ... Can I add my son to the JTWROS deed ... ?
    You wouldn't "add" the son to "the deed". You would add him to the title by executing a new deed. I assume that what you want to to is to convey your contingent interest in the property (your expectancy of getting the fee simple absolute after your father dies). You will own the property only if you survive your father; it is possible that he might survive you, in which case your son would get nothing (except perhaps by inheritance from your father).

If, on the other hand, what you are suggesting is somehow supplanting your father's interest in the property with your son, no, you cannot. Your father would have to assent to that and, as you indicate, he is legally incompetent, he would be incapable of doing so.

Also, fiddling with a JTWROS may "break" the JTWROS, turning it into a tenancy-in-common. Check with a real estate attorney in your jurisdiction.

As title to the property is currently established, after 5 years and before your father dies, Medicaid could, I suppose, bring an action to partition the property, sell it, and pay you for your half interest. Asuming this doesn't happen, you should wait until he dies to convey it to you and your son by a new JTWROS deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add Son to property deeds in Mi - no mortgages [ 3 Answers ]

Entering those troublesome 60's, and reading lots of warnings about tax ramifications concerning property. I have one son. My husband (2nd) and I own 3 pieces of property, 2 houses. I am considering adding my sons name to the deeds of the property along with our names, also joint tenant all...

Add name to house deeds but not mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the UK. My partner and I own a house, but at the moment the mortgage is in his name and only his name appears on the house deeds. The reason why the mortgage was not in joint names initially is because I was unemployed at the time of applying. I have contacted several solicitors to...

How to add my son's name to my deed with both our names on property? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to add my sons name to my deed so both of us are on the title. What documents, paperwork, etc will I need

Add my son's name to my property deed [ 1 Answers ]

My son and his family live with me in my house. I would like to add his name to the deed to the property. How do I go about it.

Mother wants to add son to deed to save property taxes can he not mortgage house? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother owns a house in Starke FL anf her son, my brother has lived in it for 3 years. He has became disabled and doesn't work, she lives in SC. She wants to add him to the deed so that the property taxes becom lower for owner occupied verus living out of state, it will save her about $1,000 eah...

View more questions Search