Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2015, 01:23 PM
    ObamaCare
    Obamacare: Family is receiving intimidating letters regarding ObamacareThis family does not file income taxes, 80 year old father lives on Social Security income
    Along with his unemployed 36 years old son. They are threatening the family with a penalty for not having health insurance. Maybe they will attach his father's social security check?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 01:27 PM
    ... Maybe they will attach his father's social security check?
    Maybe.

The father doesn't file a tax return because he isn't required to? He should check and see of the exemption from the filing requirement has changed with the enactment of the so-called "Affordable" Care Act.

What does the son live off of? Nothing but the father's Social Security? He should also check to see if he is still exempt from the filing requirements, but clearly the father's Social Security can't be tapped to pay the son's Obama Tax.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 02:18 PM
    Willing to bet they are not threatening the family, but certain individuals in the family, who do file a tax return. Am I correct? What state are we talking about? Usually the unemployed are covered under medicaid, unless they fall between a financial gap that the state doesn't fill in through the medicaid expansion.

The Coverage Gap: Uninsured Poor Adults in States that Do Not Expand Medicaid – An Update | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

I doubt the father is in any trouble whatsoever. The son's penalty depending on his income is only applied if his premium costs are over a percentage of his income after any subsidies he is eligible for through the federal health care exchange. But that's to be noted when he does file his 2014 tax return.

I would love to see that "threatening" letter.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2015, 02:24 PM
    You are correct.Why they keep hounding this family escapes me.

Yes Medicaid will not be expanded in Florida. So the son was not eligible under current guidelines. Community center despite being funded, were expensive. A simple blood test was $150.00. No doctors only nurses, no hospitalization nor surgery. The son lives off the father's social security income.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2015, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I would love to see that "threatening" letter.
    Yes. And I'm guessing that the son does have some income of his own, but is simply failing to report it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2015, 03:36 PM
    No the son had no income for 2014. Depends on his father for support.
    Thank a million. The old man was worried.
    Expert

Mar 29, 2015, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    No the son had no income for 2014. ...
    I mean unreported income: odd jobs, drugs or other criminal enterprise of some kind, etc. "In kind" income is still taxable income, technically. But it's neither here nor there.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2015, 11:37 AM
    Can you please clarify what you mean by "receiving intimidating letters?" Who from? Given that the father is 80 years old - and hence on Medicare - he is already insured and Obamacare is no issue for him at all. But the son needs to sign up, and being unemployed he will probably find that with subsidies in Obamacare his cost would be very low indeed, certainly less than that $150 blood test you mentioned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obamacare [ 4 Answers ]

Old lady lives with her son on low social security income 1,370 a month She does not file income tax on her social security. So she is ineligible For the Obama subsidy. Medicaid in Florida will not be expanded . Some say file a income tax statement even if you do not owe taxes. And you may...

Obamacare 3.0 [ 1197 Answers ]

Remember that healthcare bill that was rammed through in spite of the American people's overwhelming objection? You know, the one that was going to let you keep your insurance, your doctor, the one that was going to "bend the cost curve downward," and be a boon to the economy? Yeah, the plan that's...

Obamacare 2.0 [ 440 Answers ]

Health Insurance Brokers Prepare Clients For Obamacare Sticker Shock - Forbes Yeah it's the greedy provider's fault that they have to double rates to cover all the mandates in the plan. Yeah the Obots were slick making sure all the low hanging fruit ;all the carrots like allowing your kids...

Obamacare For The Poor [ 18 Answers ]

What happens in 2014. Women 60 years old is unemployed and has a preexisting condition. Has been denied medicaid in Florida, she did not met the current guild-lines. Only income is from her husband's social security check. I wonder what will happen in this type of situation??

Obamacare... [ 6 Answers ]

What exactly does it mean? I've heard different things from different people and don't know what to believe...

View more questions Search